Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crane & Msd Ignition

What Do you use in ur V8

• Crane Ignition

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • MSD Ignition

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Stock GMH

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Wouldn't Bother with upgrade

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • other - please specifiy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Hey Guys Just Wondering what Ignition performance mods are avaliable for the Holden V8 308 AND 304ci, I have found a few would like your comments on the MSD or other brands.

MSD IGNITION

COIL:

1.MSD Blaster II Ignition Coil : $80.00

Blaster High Vibration Coil, PN 8222 For street or race,circle track, off road and other severe duty applications, this is the coil! The windings of the High Vibration Coil are completely encased in a premium epoxy making it impossible for vibration to affect the windings. Brass primary terminals ensure full voltage delivery and are spaced far apart to eliminate the chance of spark arc-over. The High Vibration Coil can be mounted in any position and can be used with a standard canister coil mount.

Blaster High Vibration Coil - PN 8222 BLASTER HIGH VIBRATION SPECIFICATIONS Primary Resistance: 0.7 ohms Secondary Resistance: 4.7K ohms Maximum Voltage: 45,000 volts Inductance: 8 mH Turns Ratio: 100:1 Peak Current: 140 mA Spark Duration: 350 Us Teste with an MSD 6AL at the plug gap.
Use with points than you MUST use a Ballast Resistor as well, (unless you are running an Ignition box such as a 6AL etc.)

DISTRIBUTOR:

MSD Billet and Pro-Billet are the finest performance and racing distributors available. Every feature is designed to provide the best in performance and endurance to top off your ignition system

THIS DISTRIBUTOR REQUIRES AN IGNITION UNIT SUCH AS A 6AL OR CRANE HI6 etc. TO RUN IT.

IGNITION MODULE:

Operating Voltage: +10-18 VDC Negative Ground
Current Requirements: 5 Amps-5,000 RPM
10 Amps-10,000 RPM
RPM Range: 15,000 RPM with 14.4 Volts
Spark Duration: 20° Crankshaft Rotation
Energy Output Max: 105-115 mJ Per Spark
Weight and Size: 3 lbs, 8"Lx4"Wx2.25"H
Voltage Output Max: Primary: 460-480 Volts
Secondary: 45,000 Volts (Blaster Coil)

MSD first developed the Soft Touch rev control to prevent overrev damage to your motor.
In the event of a missed shift or driveline failure, the rpm limit is adjustable in 100 rpm increments with MSD’s plug-in modules.
When the engine reaches your selected limit, the Soft Touch circuitry begins dropping the spark to various cylinders.
On the next cycle, these plugs are fired again to prevent fuel from loading up in the cylinder.
The result is a smooth and accurate limiting action without backfires or roughness.
The 6AL is supplied with rubber shock mounts and modules for 3,000, 6,000, 7,000 and 8,000 rpm.

CRANE CAMS FIREBALL IGNITION KIT

CRANE BILLET DISTRIBUTOR, HI-6 & LX92 COIL WITH BUILT IN REV LIMITER & ADJUSTABLE TIMING
$1000 +

Crane Street/Race Distributor

The first new improvement in ignition firing accuracy in 25 years!
Delivers near crank-trigger accuracy!
Precise optical triggering up to 9,500 RPM!
Adjustable-curve, electronic advance plus manifold-vacuum advance!
Advance uses no springs or weights
Billet aluminum, CNC machined housing with ball bearings and bushings
Large-Cap And Std. Cap models for Sm. BLock and Big-Block Chevy V-8, Ford 5.0L-5.0L H.O. and 351W V-8 applications

Attachments

• msd 6AL.jpg
    msd 6AL.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 411

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
None of the aftermarket dizzy's work with the Holden ignition module. I run MSD leads and Blaster III coil and plan on running the 6AL when the stroker gets built up.
AirStrike :air:

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
Hey mate, you are full of questions.. I'm running a crane lx91 coil. Changing it to a msd blaster and digital 6 ignition module. The 91 has heaps off spark, but if your going up to a module you either go for the lx 92 and Hi6 or msd, the engine builders over here recomend them but as i have said to you before, Sawka has built some of the quickest engines in south oz, so he will help you out, and he does the best prices!! good luck

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
I am running a full MSD system on my HZ 253. Pro billet dizzy, 6al module, blaster 2 coil and custom made 8.5 mm MSD leads. Even though it cost me $900 I have never looked back. Best move I made.

I woud say the MSD set up you described is just about the same, thats what I would be going with.

Steve.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
sir355 said:
Hey mate, you are full of questions.. I'm running a crane lx91 coil. Changing it to a msd blaster and digital 6 ignition module. The 91 has heaps off spark, but if your going up to a module you either go for the lx 92 and Hi6 or msd, the engine builders over here recomend them but as i have said to you before, Sawka has built some of the quickest engines in south oz, so he will help you out, and he does the best prices!! good luck
lol yeah I am full of questions, i wanna get to understand and get 2 know lots about my engine and how I can improve and make things better. :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i will be running the MSD 6AL ignition unit with the SS blaster coil with the holden HEI dizzy but i'm using a LINK ecu in conjuction with a JACOBS Nitrous mastermind to control the NOS big shot kit i've got. shooting for 400hp n/a with another 300hp NOS shot on top for strip duty. gotta have good sparks to fire that sorta combo at 6500+rpms

S

simba

You should check out the new mallory hyfire 685, better than msd more features, suit early 308 and efi delcos, got mine hooked up at performance world brisbane.

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
just spoke to the guys down at american auto parts, on the subject of crane vs msd, the crane hi6 is digital where as the msd isn't. The crane has extra features and you can buy it with the lx92 coil for $400. I was asking heaps about the msd but they recomended the crane, and considering that it is a lot cheaper, it gives you some thought. I looked inside the crane and msd units and they are far different , the crane is neat and the msd looks like it is thrown together. I'm not trying to preach the crane as i was amsd user on my monaro, but after reading and seeing for my own eyes, i will be going the crane route for my 355..

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
You should check out the new mallory hyfire 685, better than msd more features, suit early 308 and efi delcos, got mine hooked up at performance world brisbane.
whats that worth?