Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank Angle Sensor

Crofty78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
G'day. I've got a 2000 VS V8 ute, manual, and i started having issues with it dying when revving over 3000rpm. So i checked all the codes after searching on the forum and i have an Idle speed error and a Crank angle sensor intermittent error.

Swapped out a Coil yesterday to rule that out and it made no difference.

Finally this morning she won't start and I had to ride to work in the fresh Tassie winter morning :cry:

What i want to know is, Is it a hard job to change out? I'm pretty handy on the tools i just don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment.

I've searched the forum, and can't seem to find an actual thread about changing it. I've found lots about people having the problem though :D

Cheers, crofty.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
hey mate, correct me if im wrong but i do believe you need to remove your Harmoinc Balancer to get to the CAS, i believe its just a plug and play type replacement :)

Crofty78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Yeah thats the impression i'm getting, most seem to be talking about a V6 though that's all. If it's something i can do in the shed in a couple of hours i'll be happy.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Well depending on your experience with cars, its not a very difficult thing to do id assume. To remove the harmonic balancer (first remove the timing belts) you get a socket on the end of a breaker bar put onto the nut of the harmonic balancer, fix the breaker bar to the right side of the chassey i believe or a concrete floor and just a quick crank of the engine (not to start it) and ul hear like a nut cracking sound, this will crack the bolt. You'll then most likely need a harmonic balancer pulley to get the actual thing off. Once thats off you should be able to just unplug the CAS and replace it with the new one.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
CAS's are notorious in VR's. I replace one like every 6 months, not just in the one car either.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its V8 so the CAS is actually the HALL EFFECT SENSOR in the dizzy not behind the balancer like the V6. its going to be the sensor or the ignition module or coil

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
its V8 so the CAS is actually the HALL EFFECT SENSOR in the dizzy not behind the balancer like the V6. its going to be the sensor or the ignition module or coil

thanks for that delco, i stand corrected :)

Crofty78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute

Thanks mate! As i said i could only seem to find info on a V6. Now i have searched on Hall effect sensor and have found a bit more info.

I have got hold of a workshop book so i'll rip into it tonight (if i can get the bastard ute into the shed) ha ha.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
if your in a hurry too its going to be much easier to swap the whole dizzy then mucking about fixing the hall effect sensor, if it can be fixed at all!!!! but as said it will be much easier to swap the dfi modual first as that is a very likely suspect aswell, maybe moreso than the actual dizzy.

Crofty78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Bugger it, swapped the Module with a definite goer last night and still no go, coil as well.
The Distributor looks like a bastard to get out too! Any tips?

Also did another code check and got a 46, no signal etc etc.