Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank angle sensor???????

Jaydon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS Commodore
Hello all I'm a new member I have just bought a VS V6 3.8 for the 1st week it ran perfect then one night driving home it just stalled doing 70km/h I pulled over and had trouble getting it started, after about 5 minutes it started so I started heading for home, over then next 30km's or so it stalled about 5 times but got me home.

It starts fine cold after about 5 minutes stalls, I've read a lot about cas's on here so I tried the cold water over the sensor and it seems to work almost every time, I've done the paper clip in 5&6 but all I get is 12, should the cas log an error or because it's intermittent would it not log it? Also when the car 1st stalled the serpentine belt stripped about 4mm off the front top of the belt, I have replaced it with a new one now, I don't have much money left but I need to fix the car for the family, I've been quoted $172 from automasters and they can get it in the next day I just want a few opinions before I shell out incase there's anything else to try

true aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
yeah it will be the sensor i have had mine go on me it cost over $200 when i got mine done.

Jaydon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS Commodore
Just an update it was the crank angle sensor, when the serpentine belt jumped off/thrown off a thin strip of the belt wrapped around and got stuck in behind the harmonic balancer, inside the harmonic balancer there are multiple fins that run through the crank angle sensor, a couple of these were folded slightly by the stuck belt, so when everything just warmed up the clearance between the fins and sensor narrowed enough for the fin to knock the sensor instantly throwing it causing it to cut the engine! A lot of posts mention a test to diagnose the crank angle sensor fault by starting the engine, run it until it stalls then pour cool/cold water on the sensor (obvious by now) located behind the harmonic balancer this should cool it enough for the sensor to shrink enough for it to reset and the car should start easily enough and then once again when it heats up bang the engine dies. It worked for me, I wouldn't recommend pouring ice cold water on to an engine that is hot from driving, I did it in my driveway with just enough heat to cause the issue. I'm not a mechanic I'm not telling anybody to do this I'm just sharing my experience as it happened to me.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON