Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank angle sensor

orthas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey all

So my vx was displaying the symptoms of a bad CAS, misfiring when accelerating at times, would crank but not fire and cut out on me while driving. so i replaced the CAS and it still isn't firing up, no spark just turning over.
Are there any other issues this might be? Don't think it can be put in wrong as its just a bolt and plug unit. the guy that put it in for me said it could be a faulty unit but before i go buying a genuine holden one and paying to get that put in I just want to see if there are any other options to check first.
Thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Could be your DFI instead.
What error codes are coming up? Don't tell me you haven't read the error codes ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you checked for fault codes?

IF you changes the CAS and it's still giving the same symptoms than most likely not the CAS. Most common CAS symptoms are failing when hot. Normally they either work or not.

The DFI module is the brains of the ignition system. Beg, borrow or steal another to test.

orthas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
ok so after searching some more of the forums on here i decided to try the engine cont. relay. switched it out with the high beam and sure enough it fired straight up. that's 2 relays in a month. age of the car or maybe shorting somewhere? looks like i may have had the symptoms for a while now though

aconre8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore wagon
ok so after searching some more of the forums on here i decided to try the engine cont. relay. switched it out with the high beam and sure enough it fired straight up. that's 2 relays in a month. age of the car or maybe shorting somewhere? looks like i may have had the symptoms for a while now though[/QUO
ok so after searching some more of the forums on here i decided to try the engine cont. relay. switched it out with the high beam and sure enough it fired straight up. that's 2 relays in a month. age of the car or maybe shorting somewhere? looks like i may have had the symptoms for a while now though
Hi mate. I'm guessing you've resolved your issue by now?
I had the exact same thing happen to me in my VT Exec. Crank but no start when hot, and same even on cold start.
I swapped the fuel pump & aircon relays ( i think it was aircon relay) as they're the same, but still no fire up.
When i turned the key i couldn't hear the fuel pump cycle so i assumed it was the fuel pump.
I had a code 12 which is all normal, so i dropped the fuel tank (full of fuel ofcourse) and replaced the pump.
Next day same issue and then 3 day later it stalled on me.
Still code 12 showing up on display.
I went through the exercise of changing the CAS & when all was put back together....still no fire up.
I then pulled apart the fuel plug connector by the tank, sprayed and cleaned with electrical spray and electrical tape to hold it firmly in place.
and she's fired first time every time ever since.
Moral of the story....start with the simple things first.

aconre8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore wagon
You've probably already sorted out your issue, but I had the exact same scenario with my VT Exec wagon.
Crank but no start when warm and same on cold starts.
Very intermittent.
I swapped out the relays, checked for codes and got code 12 which is all systems normal, but still no start up.
I noticed when I turned the ignition key to accessory the fuel pump was not making its cycling noise at the same time as this issue happened, which led me to believe it was a faulty fuel pump.
So I dropped the tank (full of fuel ofcourse) and changed the fuel pump and filter.
The car started and ran beautifully for 2 days before the issue struck again, and this time with the added bonus of engine cut out while driving.
It was showing all the symptoms of a faulty crank angle sensor.
Still code 12 displayed, but i was convinced it was the CAS.
I replaced the CAS and when the whole thing was put back together.....you guessed it.....crank but no start.
After spitting chips i decided to check the fuel plug connector under the car (by the fuel tank).
I unplugged it, cleaned both male & female plugs with electrical spray and taped them back together very tightly with electrical tape.
Bang.....she fired up straight away and hasn't missed a beat since.
Moral of the story....if there are no fault codes start with the simplest things.