Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank only spins about 180 degrees on partially rebuilt motor

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The issue was that the spaces for the cylinders was about a 1mm in diameter too small, my son suspect gasket for the 3liter engine. Ebay not so good in this case.

That'll do it. Should pay extra and buy from a local. The poor man pays twice and the peasant chinaman gets paid twice.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Best place to buy any gaskets for an engine is an engine reconditioning place.

PeterC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
That'll do it. Should pay extra and buy from a local. The poor man pays twice and the peasant chinaman gets paid twice.
Yeah. Heartbreaking really, my son had done all the stuff so well, was ready to do the timing and now... Back to the start.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The issue was that the spaces in the head gasket for the cylinders was about 1mm in diameter too small, my son suspects that the gasket was for the 3 litre engine. Ebay not so good in this case.

Yeah good old eBay, I was looking for a sensor tonight and two sellers claimed it fitted VP to VY. Luckily I know the parts through that range are not the same as VR. Lot of eBay seller's have NFI....

bdedene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Balina V6 auto
My son has been working on his LY7 and got to the point of replacing the heads on the block after swapping camshafts. He placed the heads on the motor and torqued them down without moving the crank into the correct timing position. Now wen the motor is rotated it stops at two points with a hard metallic noise is if it hits a pin or something, prior to the heads being put on motor spun freely. We took the camshafts off still same problem, we tapped tops of valves and none seem stuck down (all springs extended, look same height by eye). We took sump of looked at crankshaft looks ok. However I suspect that WD40 usage on the big ends may have siezed one of the shells so it rotates and then stops, is this possible? Or is it possible a valve bent if a piston was at TDC when heads torqued?
Sounds like the motor is miss timed . The downward stroke valve hitting the rising piston Bdedene