Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank seal won't budge

letemlaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY x2
Hi Guys

I'm replacing the crank seal behind the harmonic balancer but I'm having a terrible time trying to remove it.
I've drilled a tapper screw in and tried to pull it out.
I've run some strong wire through the holes and the damn wire snapped!
I've been able to very carefully chisel around half of it but it still won't budge, and I'm going to have to re-machine the surface to get it dead smooth again.

It looks like there's a thread locker on there and one mechanic told me to heat the seal until its red hot to break the bond, but my experience with a torch is limited and I don't want to warp the crank or seal housing.

Any ideas what I can try?

Attachments

• 20150507_183057.jpg
    20150507_183057.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 20150505_201042.jpg
    20150505_201042.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 226

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tap a chisel between the flat bit of the seal and the timing cover. If it doesn't move, try it again with a big screwdriver and hit it a bit harder to cave the seal inward from the outside.

Then buy a new seal (usually no more than $10) and smear a bit of threebond 1104 on the back of it and tap it in with a large socket ensuring that it's held square. You can use silicon, but it's not as oil resistant as the threebond.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Decent big flat blade screw driver, bit of fuel hose over the shaft (to protect the crank snout), hook the screw driver tip behind the seal at the top (so the handle is towards the ground) and push handle towards the back of the car.

or something like this Seal Puller O Ring Oring Remover Removal Tool | eBay

letemlaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY x2
Thanks for the advise.
My wife gave birth just after I posted this so I couldn't get to it any sooner but I managed to get it off today.

I'm thinking my torque wrench inn't calibrated correctly. I set it to 50nm then I was going to wind it a further 140 degrees to make 325nm but using a great deal of might and a 75cm extension bar I could only move it about 50 degrees before the high tensile bolts bent (see picture).
I dont know what 325nm feels like but that was a huge force I put on it and with the bolts bending I wouldn't be able to apply any more force.

Do you think this will hold?

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 167
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 178

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
What will hold?
When I did my crank bolt up on my Ecotec, I installed it without a torque wrench. I put it up to a very high tension (again not sure what it was due to not having a torque wrench) but it never had a problem. I did slightly bend my high tensile bolts that were holding the balancer pulley in place.

letemlaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY x2
What will hold?
When I did my crank bolt up on my Ecotec, I installed it without a torque wrench. I put it up to a very high tension (again not sure what it was due to not having a torque wrench) but it never had a problem. I did slightly bend my high tensile bolts that were holding the balancer pulley in place.

Yeah I ment the crank bolt.
Sounds like I shouldn't have an issue.
I ended up doing the CAS as well so hopefully I'll never have to take it apart again.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I think you'll be right. But even then, you have done it once, so the second time is easy as.
Fingers crossed it's all good.