Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crank?

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
hey guys,
im in the process of assembling my engine which is now stroked to 355, just wondering... i hav put the rear main seal in and tightened all the caps to spec (65ft/lb) now one of my books say that once iv done that i am to rotate the engine around a couple of times each way to bed the rope seal in and that it should feel easier as it does. the book also says that at this stage my crank should be able to be turned by hand and i can turn it but its pretty hard, does this mean my caps r tightened too much? also im using a set of scat h-beam rods and forged probe industrie dish tops, neither show any signs of direction to install, does this mean i can install them in any way?

please help as i don't want to go any further till im certain everything is ok.

cheers in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited:

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
it wont be that easy to turn by hand if the pistons are in

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
nah pistons are out thats why im a bit confused as to how tight it should feel, nothing in but the crank atm...

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
It will be fairly tight to turn by hand with a new rear main seal. Have you checked the main bearing clearances?? If you have and all is fine, then it will just be the rear main seal. If not, then i suggest you check the bearing clearances and go from there.

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
yeh checked the clearance they seem fine 0.05mm, your prob right bout the rear seal, when i did cut the seal to fit all the sides come over mayb 0.5mm not much at all but they r not flush with the cap surface, do you recon i should take the cap off and cut them flush, mayb its rubbing on the crank and making it more difficult if that makes sense?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
When you fit a rope rear main seal, you are supposed to cut them off so they are just proud of the block & main cap and then when you tighten it all down they squash together. Then i pull the rear cap back off and just trim the bits that have gone in between the cap & block, put a very small dob of silicone between the ends and thats it. It will still be fairly tight, but for the sake of it just pop the rear cap back off and have a look. If all is good, leave it.

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
ok kool thanx will do.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
also might be stupid question did you soak the rope seal in oil?

esaad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport
no, do i hav to? i just put it in like my repair manual said to.