Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cranks but wont start

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
hi all me mates got a vp 5lt on gas the petrol pump dont work so he just uses gas last few days hes run into a problem and the bloody thing wont start was running good before that i told him that it was either ignition system or no spark to the plugs . does anyone have any ideas

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
stockvp said:
hi all me mates got a vp 5lt on gas the petrol pump dont work so he just uses gas last few days hes run into a problem and the bloody thing wont start was running good before that i told him that it was either ignition system or no spark to the plugs . does anyone have any ideas

Well lets try the basics. Fuel and spark. If you can smell gas out the exhaust after it's been cranking for a few seconds then you probably have fuel. If not then the converter may be unwell. Also when you turn the ignition to on, listen for the click of the gas solenoid valve.

If fuel is not the problem, pull a spark plug but leave it attached to the lead, give it a crank and check to see if the plug is sparking. No spark? check a couple more, still no spark? then check the condition of both the plugs and leads. If the plugs and leads are not cactus, check the coil with a multimeter, both sides should have a fairly low resistance, if one side is open circuit then your coil is likely munted. Coil Ok? then check your dizzy cap for wear/buildup on terminals and the dizzy itself for shaft play (sounds unlikely but it happened on my old XE!) and correct base timing, base timing all good? Well then things might get interesting.

If none of that works, come back and ask again. :D Also I hope someone else will come in here and point out the really obvious stuff I've most certainly forgotten. ooooh, really obvious stuff, check all the connections onto the dizzy, particularly the lead between the dizzy and the coil, if your coil lead gets shaken off somehow then car no go (trust me on this!) :eek:

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
thanks pandaman , you can smell the gas after you stop turning it over it realeases so i assume there was no problem there and that click is defin there as for the rest i will get on to it thanks mate