Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crankshaft question

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Go invest a couple $$ in the proper tools to get the job done. Will be so much easier and better than trying to roll around on the floor.

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
got the cone shape part on the pulley remover tool stuck in there... cant get it out, so i want to replace it, or get the crankshaft out and try to remove it from the thread,and if the tread is screwed then replace the cranksaft
The thread? Re tap it.
Or the keyway? Uh-oh.

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i would be looking around $400 for the proper tools to do the job, engine hoist and stand etc, was think about hiring them. still deciding
Go invest a couple $$ in the proper tools to get the job done. Will be so much easier and better than trying to roll around on the floor.

AA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute S2
If I were you I would try to drill it out or do whatever it took before taking the crank shaft out, its worth a shot if your careful.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Atleast buy a stand.
Find a mate that has a engine crane.

How have you tryed to remove the cone part?
The bolt is to hold the balancer there. If its damaged the thread just re tap the thread. It'll be fine.

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
done that mate. drill just stopped. tried welding a bolt in there and that didn't either. i even tried finding a big enough bolt to screw in there and smack it out, but no one here has one big enough lol
If I were you I would try to drill it out or do whatever it took before taking the crank shaft out, its worth a shot if your careful.

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
yeah tried everything to get it out. i thought of at least taking the crankshaft out so i have more room, coz i dont have much room to work with even with the radiator out and fan.
Atleast buy a stand.
Find a mate that has a engine crane.

How have you tryed to remove the cone part?
The bolt is to hold the balancer there. If its damaged the thread just re tap the thread. It'll be fine.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
sounds like you have a boat anchor, get a replacement engine and drop that in..... quicker and easier than trying to replace the crank

Tried old fashioned heat and lots of it with a lh threaded bolt/big ass ezyout? (only problem here is damaging the seal and/or timing cover which houses the oil pump.....

Last edited:

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
yeah she is in there pritty good... where i live it would be hard to find a replacement unfortunately
sounds like you have a boat anchor, get a replacement engine and drop that in..... quicker and easier than trying to replace the crank

Tried old fashioned heat and lots of it with a lh threaded bolt? (only problem here is damaging the seal and/or timing cover which houses the oil pump.....

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
ballarat is only 70 km/1 hour away, find a mate with a ute or trailer, pay for fuel and it'll probably take less time and $$$$ than trying to do the crank replacement