Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crankshaft question

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hey guys im new here. i was wondering if there was a pacific way to replace the crank shaft out of my vs commodore 96? hoping there is an easy way

Cheers

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Engine out and onto an engine stand is the easiest and less stressful way.

Why do you need to replace crankshaft?

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
would i have to pull everything apart? from the top down?
Engine out and onto an engine stand is the easiest and less stressful way.

Why do you need to replace crankshaft?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No.

Engine out of vehicle, removal of engine supplements.

Engine on engine stand upside down - sump facing up.

Have you got a service manual? If not, go purchase one before you even attempt to remove the engine.

Make sure to loosen the harmonic balancer bolt before removing the engine too, otherwise you'll have alot trouble later on.

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
yeah mate got service manual. have the Gregory's one... did think you could remove it from the bottom? is it an easy job mate?
No.

Engine out of vehicle, removal of engine supplements.

Engine on engine stand upside down - sump facing up.

Have you got a service manual? If not, go purchase one before you even attempt to remove the engine.

Make sure to loosen the harmonic balancer bolt before removing the engine too, otherwise you'll have alot trouble later on.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
well theoratically you could remove it from under the car but you're making things very difficult.....

much easier and less stressful as stated above to do it out of the car on a stand, that way you can have all the components lined up on a bench and not risk mixing b/end caps up and main journal caps, not to mention when fighting gravity and lying on your back getting things to stay in place like bearing shells, moving the conrods and pistons up/down to put back on the crank, still have to raise the engine block to clear the k-frame, trans would have to be removed etc etc etc.......

markie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
yeah, that would be a pain!!!! my problem is i dont have a engine hoist or stand unfortunately. so im not sure what to do. maybe go top down? if i have no other choice or way to get to it. i know its the long way but im all out of idea's
well theoratically you could remove it from under the car but you're making things very difficult.....

much easier and less stressful as stated above to do it out of the car on a stand, that way you can have all the components lined up on a bench and not risk mixing b/end caps up and main journal caps, not to mention when fighting gravity and lying on your back getting things to stay in place like bearing shells, moving the conrods and pistons up/down to put back on the crank, still have to raise the engine block to clear the k-frame, trans would have to be removed etc etc etc.......

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
What's wrong with the engine you have currently?

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
The thread? Re tap it.
Or the keyway? Uh-oh.