Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cranky VSSSUTE 355 Twin Throttle Walkinshaw Build Thread

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by dobesz, Apr 15, 2011.

1. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    So been really busy with work, quoting jobs flat out and in process of getting my DBU, so ute has been on the back burner. Put a carpet underlay in that has a alloy sheet in the middle of it, hopefully give evan more heat protection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Installed my new black carpet and new seat belts. As i have been going have been giving all the plastics a good clean and getting rid of all the built up dirt and dust from years as a work ute. Removed the jack assembly as well and will relocate to inside the tub.
    [​IMG]
    Also fixed the problem of my 12 inch sub sounding mufled and distorting easy I removed covers that block 90mm holes that go between cab and where sub is mounted under tub. These were behind where my amps are mounted. I then have remounted amps over the top but with 15mm rubber spacers so the air can freely move out as before sub sounded not great as not enough air space in the under tub area.

2. JCL

JCL Member

Members Ride:
    VS V6 Ute
    Looking really good - doesnt seem too far off being put back together. Seems like you will have great heat and noise reduction from doing all of that.

3. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Hope so, sound i am not too worried about more that in summer it cooks the floor. And now going bigger heads and cam will be even worse

4. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    So picked these up from pick a part to add to the sound deadening from a stato,
    [​IMG]
    as had to remove the passenger one as wanted to tidy wiring under there from sterio install. Hate random wires threaded all over the place. I also added a switch to elec antenna as want to be able to have it down when just using ipod etc. Also added a signal booster as for some reason this pioneer head unit gets shitty reception. No idea why as old one had perfect reception.

5. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    So looks like some gifts from the posty arrived today. The pro ratchet shifter and a dekota digital gear selector read out.

Already have my drop down box made up, ill start cutting up ratchet tomorrow so i can flip reverse lever in line with gear shifter so that can sit in standard facia nicer and look like its factory. Will run my gear selector lights via the dekota unit. Ill post plenty of install pics.

[​IMG]

6. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Never knew about the digital gear read out..quite a nice idea.Particularly when shifter is in drop box.

Gets hard sometimes remembering gear you're in street driving with manualised auto.Usually it's just tap tap tap up make in neutral at a stop then tap tap tap down so you know it's in 1st.

Good tip when hopping it other people's car start with foot on brake & double check in Park BECAUSE lots of dudes dont fit inhibitor relay or even reverse switch.Insanity!!!!

7. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Na mate my one will have all the inhibitor switch and reverse etc hooked up, will look like stock except for B&M stick sticking through the original facia. Few guys on Commodores Plus have done this mod. Tomorrow will take to the shifter with a grinder to make a few mods

8. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Got the grinder out and took to the shifter, cut the reverse lock out leaver off so that i could shift it over inline with the shifter handle. The leaver is normally offset to the gear shifter and would mean cutting an extra hole in the shifter surround. Stole this idea from VRsenator haha
    [​IMG]

As you can see in second pic leaver now lines up with shifter instead of its usual place 20mm to the right
    [​IMG]

9. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Got the drop down box cut in now just make a few adjustments and start to hook all the linkages up for the shifter
    [​IMG]

10. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    memories of when i did my shifter. only took me 2 weeks lol

11. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Lol mate took me a month to get carpet in, and ute pretty much in my lounge room, two weeks would be fast the rate i am going.

Ps did you use the standard cable that came with shifter? And what box were you running?

12. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    So was a bit of a fluke but i took my time putting drop down in, in what was what i thought perfect position. So with shifter in and the auto facias slightly adjusted its a perfect fit.
    [​IMG]
    I also am thinking of mounting nuts under the drop down box so dont have to piss about trying to get nuts n bolts done up from underneath car.
    As you can see because i cut the reverse lock out lever n welded in line with shifter its a tad short, who uses these shifters been shorter will it be annoying? And no it does not hit facia not even close.
    [​IMG]
    I will also be putting the black slide strip back in so you will not see white facia and will cut slot in it for the reverse lock out lever
    [​IMG]

13. wraith

wraith Hand over the dog bikkies

Members Ride:
    VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
    Looking good.

Maybe use some rivnuts?

[​IMG]

14. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    You read my mind just spent last 30mins looking at all different kinds of rivet nuts n rivet plates etc, think ill have a crack at the rivet nuts! I know you need to be careful not to overtighten as can be a prick to unscrew if you damage them, guessing well and trully strong enough as wouldnt think ripping on the shifter would be that much force

15. Jecs

Members Ride:
    haha youre making really good progress

yeh i used the standard cable. a mate of mine was telling me he was torching it on the street and it melted the cable and he was stuck in 3rd for the whole ride home.

that made me paranoid, so my brother bought home aviation heat tape and also got some heat wrap fibre stuff (it sort of looks like the heat wrap that goes over spark plug leads but not as thick) and slid the cord thru that.

but in all honesty, its over kill. i know heaps of people that have run the standard cable and never had any dramas.

16. Jecs

Members Ride:

also i cant recommend this enough, SOUND DEADEN the **** out of the drop box.

thank me later.

17. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Yea 100% mate was only thinking that yesterday, all that effort of sound deadening to have a big metal box next to zaust n box with zero sound deadening. Still got to hook it up and set up the dekota module

18. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Rivnuts hell handy if you're usually only person working on car alone.

Short reverse lockout wont matter as long as it works & most importantly clears everything no cutting.

My vh the cable gets a bit hot,notice it on really hot days stuck in traffic shifting feel dealayed but surprisingly it's melted speedo cable & extra earth cable but not shifter cable.

Other thing ESSENTIAL is seal up any & all holes so no heat or wind gets in or you'll pull interior apart again just to fix it.

19. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Take some pics of installing the Dakota thingy, would like one in my cars if all goes well with it in yours.

20. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Hahaha i taking plenty of pics as i know drop down box etc is a common mod now. Ill be using dakota to light all the original gear selector emblems up, using leds

And yes i am into pointless mods most people cant be efed with