Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cranky VSSSUTE 355 Twin Throttle Walkinshaw Build Thread

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
So made the loom up with a plug as brain of the dakota is under the dash near fuse box. Soldered all the negatives together so can just screw to trans tunel. Had to belt sand few bits from the bottom of the selector plastic housing as shifter mechanism was just kissing it.
77B7CC43-F0F1-4BBB-BD97-7A63461C3472_zpsq1rkc7cq.jpg

Pretty much done now just have to mod the black strip that goes around shifter, that slides with shifter when pushing it through gears. Been doing few other things, took all the front guard screws out and sprayed them body colour as they were black.
As soon as shifter is finished its off to have the door trims done exactly how i want them so that the vinyl parts are same colour code as rest of interior with black leather inserts. As the wood trim of the caprice trims is now gloss black. Will have old tint striped from windows and new tint as well.
Also getting hard lid resprayed as never did it when car was resprayed.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
So finally got it all in and working, been busy with work up late quoting jobs for next year so ute is on the back burner and looking at new cars etc. But as usual nothing goes perfect, had the slider just about cut out 100% and the prick snapped so in vid you can see nothing in the gear selector slot yet. But you get the idea, its quite good and pretty happy with results.
I earthed the leds to the shifter body and the loom for leds goes up past the air con controls around under dash where fuse box is. So easy to get to the Dakota box for programming.
You will notice because i altered reverse lockout it is a little awkward to use but thats all good as didnt want to cut a slot in black fascias.
The dakota unit very easy to program, some may say its wanky but i like stuffing about with pointless **** haha

[video]http://vid797.photobucket.com/albums/yy255/dobesz/IMG_1442_zps4t0d44it.mp4[/video]
Hope to get the door trims back soon from the trimmer as well as the hand brake boot. The sound and heat deadening worked a treat the floor pan stays with zero heat now for quite a long time of driving and once it does get heat its not scorching hot like it used to be. Loving al the black carpet and facias etc, made the interior look a million times better.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Cool set up there dobesz.

Bummer about the slider but you should be able to source another pretty easily.

How about a vid if this thing running & driving. Keen to hear what it sounds like.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
its actually flows nice (the dakota) and i like how N R P are red. unique to say the least

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Loving the LED setup, still retains some originality. Top notch work

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It is definitely a good setup, one that I see been replicated........

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Turned out better than expected.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Cool set up there dobesz.

Bummer about the slider but you should be able to source another pretty easily.

How about a vid if this thing running & driving. Keen to hear what it sounds like.

Yea once i get the interior back in it ill get a vid of it for you mate.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
It is definitely a good setup, one that I see been replicated........

Hahah yea no doubt but more than happy to tell and show how, i have a vs ute with frs think being original went out the window a long time ago.