Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cranky VSSSUTE 355 Twin Throttle Walkinshaw Build Thread

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea was thinking the same thing will be easy to do tho

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Finally finished reading through your thread , I like it, one very special ute you are making there.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Nice work dude

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
tried watching videos on how the dakota works. i understand how it hooks under the box and you make a bracket between the shifter and dakota so they synchronize between the two, but im lost on how you plan on running the LED display.

i thought youd have it mounted like above the steering wheel so its insight - but you making the display next to the shifter?

i possible didnt read properly, and better off waiting to see the finished product

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
So with the dakota you have the sender as seen here
461E36E7-377B-41E4-AB04-C5E36279F254_zps8aaqig1n.jpg

It has a lever on it that can move 180 degrees, you hook a lever up to gear box selector shaft, run a small rod between the two, so that when in P the selector os extreme one way and when in 1st extreme the other. So its like a variable switch.
The gizmo brain part has a plug that wire from sender plugs into. Also has another loome that can plug in that can be used as N safety switch and reverse lights if you wanted to.

Now it has 1,2,3,d,n,r,p outlets on the side of it so you can either- plug in the dekota led display that lights up the digital symbols or
-or plug in indevidual led lights, so i have chosen this option so that the lights will light up my original dash facia windows, thus looking completely standard once together .

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
So set up the leds, work mint, realised i grabbed some 24v ones, still worked mint. Anyway want to move them over just a bit as a bit to the right so you can see the led brighter to right side of window. (Bit anal i know)

Even if i go three speed will kepp this setup as third simply will not light up will go 2 straight to D

Also Jecs u can see the unit in back ground, see how lights all green, the red one is in D position as selector in D obviously. To set you simply hold set button and it lights up each led you then shift into appropriate gear and push button, 5 second job
5EF08587-E60C-4DD4-A0AA-976E508B9A5C_zpshc6nhcav.jpg

BAC4155A-EBF8-473F-A895-8D0CDDD47D7E_zpsqojcobei.jpg

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
oooooh **** thats classy as fk!

im glad you are going down that route, i didnt even know that existed or i would have looked into the same thing when i did mine.

i thought you were going to delete the P-N-D-3-2-1 section and have this sitting next to your shifter or in driving view.

prd_sm_64.jpg

looks awesome the way youre doing it! well worth the time and effort

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I Thought the same as Jecs, can't wait to see it all finished now.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Cheers boys sorry bit slow with updates, my business is growing rapidly and cant keep up with the paper work side of things at the moment so literally only spend hour here and there at a time lol. Got the money now just not the time. Just want it back on the road for summer with fresh interior. Hate to think how long the cam change will take, but the boys will give me a hand and no doubt be pretty quick turn around

Adelaidetradie86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute Series 2
Unfortatly work comes first for all of us. The level of detail you go into on your ute is first class.
Keep up the good work.
If i swing over to melb in the near to medium future (depending on your ute being done) would love to have a look at this weapon close up.