Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crappy Air Con Temp

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
My air con temp kinda sux. If the ambient temp outside is fairly cool, say 25ish degrees, the air con seems to work ok. If the ambient temp is about 28-32 deg. It really sux. The compressor is kicking in but it dead set feels like the A/C button isnt switched on. It dosnt seem to make any difference to the temp if u switch it on or off. It just feels like its blowing air????? Not cold air..... When i do that at idle u can see the compressor engaging and disengaging.

I had my mate re-gas it. (He works for Holden) But i dont think it made any real difference???

Any ideas?????

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
A regas should fix this problem, although if you had a leak that might cause it too loose its cool (so to speak). If your mate knows anything about what hes doing, he will tell you that the gas is doped with a dye that shows under a black light. So if you have a leak you can usually pick it up with that. When your mate did the regas, it should have been checked for leaks, so ask him if it was leaking. If your gas pressure was ok, they simply take your gas out, drain the moisture (which causes it to be less cold) and pump your gas back in. Otherwise, if there is no gas pressure, they pump new gas in.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
sounds like your compressor is dead. Same thing happened to me.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Before you go spending big $$$$$, check that the cable that operates the hot air flap has not come off. The easiest way to check if this has happened, or whether your heater tap is not turning off, is to put your hand down to where the hot water pipes come in from the engine - a hand span above your left ankle when your left foot is resting on the footrest to the left of the brake pedal.. With the dial set to blue, the brass heater pipes should be cold or cool - if they're hot then it means that hot water from the engine is going thru the heater and you are mixing heated air with your aircond cool air and ending up with 'just'cool' air.
This is a very common problem and an easy dollar earner for a dishonest aircon man. Cost me $80 to find this out!.
When your mate regassed the system he would have checked that one pipe going into the car was very cold and the other coming out was very hot - this is standard procedure and proves to the person regassing that the system is working OK.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
F*CKIN BINGO!!!

I noticed that those pipes were bloody hot!!!!

My mate just did a really really really quick regas on a sat morn. He just slapped it on n took it off. We really didnt spend any time poking around.

SO if those pipes are f*cking hot as, where is this bloody heater tap????

BRILLIANT!!!!! THANKS!!!!!

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Yeah i reckon i got this all sussed!!! I found that heater tap. Noticed its vac operated. Noticed that it wasnt changing state with either cold or hot selected. Found a vac switch down next ur left foot. This isnt being actuated cause the plastic lever assy is slightly worn and is not fully engaging the switch......

Wat a prick ay.... All this time!!!

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
this happened on my old VR... could never get it cool until one auto electrician was working on my car and said it was probably that little white valve under the dash..

just keep an eye on the heater tap now you have changed the valve.. cos mine was stuck in the one position for so long it had seized up and when it moved to cold it started leaking.. wasn't heaps to replace but was just one of those things..