Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crash Body Proposes 120km/h Speed Limiter

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
retro fitting costs to all the cars would cost too much. wont happen. and i'm sure as hell not paying for my cars and bikes to get restricted.

fingers crossed.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
What makes them think this would do any difference.

Its not like people are offing themselves in record numbers on the freeway.

If speed is a factor, its generally in suburban streets and major roads roads and those who do 100 in 60 and 80 zones arent going to stop because theyre limited to 120.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
stupid idea because it wont do a thing and would be better to increase driver training and have defensive driving coarse as standard before getting a licence

and look at the NT they put a speed limit on the hwy of 130km/h and the death toll increased instead of going down

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
I like that idea of defensive driving course, mainly cause I had to do one (reluctantly) and it turned out to be the greatest fun ever.

Like our beloved 130 speed limit thing, states will only change the rules if there is something in it for them, ie $$$. So if said "crash body" wanted to seriously implement this, they'd have to start offering serious inducements to state, territory and federal governments before this would even start to become a reality. And not to worry about the revenue raising, people will still speed: when it's 40, speeders will do 60. When it's 60, speeders will do 80, and so on.

In my opinion, it's not the speed that needs to change, it's the education and mentality. Drivers should be aware of their cars capabilities, the effect of adverse road conditions and handling, the necessary maintenance for day to day running etc etc. And not through boring as lectures either, but real practical stuff, like the defensive driving, give people a real chance to learn these skills. If you had better trained, more aware drivers on the road, you wouldn't have quite as many easily avoidable accidents.

Dunno, just my opinion. I've got hundreds of them.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I like Jezza's idea - I did a defensive driving course last year and after doing it I think it should be made mandatory for all drivers, young and old, inexperienced and experienced.

But anyway, whats the point? If this did happen you'd soon get people suggesting "ohnoes, 120 km/h is too fast, we need speed limiters that limit cars to 100", and lets face it - even 50 km/h is still fast enough to do serious damage. How about we teach people how to drive before we start wasting money on speed limiters that will do nothing but waste money and disadvantage people.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
good point about the track days & drags etc.
either way, people would just bypass them. Check out the amount of truckies on the road who bypass their 100kph speed limiters....

Clearly you know nothing about the transport industry! :clap:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
good point about the track days & drags etc.
either way, people would just bypass them. Check out the amount of truckies on the road who bypass their 100kph speed limiters....

Truckies wouldnt do that,its illegal.:spot on: