Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crash on Magill rd (adelaide heads)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I took the time to talk it over with my 12 year old son - the games he plays on the computer/playstation are for fun. Doing it on the public roads - one lad dead and another has lost his legs for life.

The photo's in the paper were very graphic indeed.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
a track might have stopped this, it might not have, but if it even saves only a couple of lives a year i'd say it's worth it.
something that isn't being factored into this though is that with no tracks, there's no reason for people to build dedicated track cars. which means you'll likely just get nutso cars on the streets. sure some folks take their daily to the track or mod it with trackwork in mind, but this is the whole other end of the spectrum, youve got what would be a track car in any other state doing daily duty, and that's just asking for mayhem like this.
people will always have issues with self control, hence, speeding/hooning, addictions, drink driving and all that crap. just because its in some people nature to be a wanker doesn't mean we shouldn't do something to let them be a wanker in a reasonably responsible manner, away from endangering the public.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Tracks up here in Sydney don't seem to do much.

Honestly, think about it - two ****wits pull up next to each other in hotted up cars, are about to give each other a go, then all of a sudden one of them says "Hey, let's not do this here like morons, lets take this to the local strip" and they happily drive 25km at 60km/h to the local track where they settle their dispute like gentlemen. Yeah right! :rofl:

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
dont forget they hold hands and sing the sound of music

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
Tracks up here in Sydney don't seem to do much.

Honestly, think about it - two ****wits pull up next to each other in hotted up cars, are about to give each other a go, then all of a sudden one of them says "Hey, let's not do this here like morons, lets take this to the local strip" and they happily drive 25km at 60km/h to the local track where they settle their dispute like gentlemen. Yeah right! :rofl:

maybe they don't do much, but that's not really the issue. no-one can say they do nothing (not that you did, but it seems to be the consensus) because sydney has them, basically it would be different if it was different but it's not so it's not.
in the end, would tracks make street drags more or less likely? they'd have heaps of positives and i can't realisically think of any negatives. the government/courts could impose harsher laws (with car heads' approval) on illegal drags because there'd be a legitimate alternative, there'd be less strip-designed cars seeing daily use.

to say that a strip would cause more road drags is like saying a shooting range increases drive bys.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
maybe they don't do much, but that's not really the issue. no-one can say they do nothing (not that you did, but it seems to be the consensus) because sydney has them, basically it would be different if it was different but it's not so it's not.
in the end, would tracks make street drags more or less likely? they'd have heaps of positives and i can't realisically think of any negatives. the government/courts could impose harsher laws (with car heads' approval) on illegal drags because there'd be a legitimate alternative, there'd be less strip-designed cars seeing daily use.

to say that a strip would cause more road drags is like saying a shooting range increases drive bys.

It kind of is the issue though. If you're asking for the government to provide this kind of facility, it has to have value for the broader community, not just the petrol heads. If they aren't going to keep hoons off the streets, then why would (or should) the government pay for them? If they're really in such demand, then they'd have no trouble being privately run for profit.

Also, no one ever mentions what goes on when the night is over and you have a fair few psyched up revheads leaving the parking lot. If you think there isn't spill-over from the track to the street, you're mistaken.

If they want tougher laws, they'll have tougher laws. Lack of an alternative isn't any excuse, because the alternative is simply to not do it. That's what a lot of people don't seem to get.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i fail to see how trying to make the streets safer or to save lives on the roads is not something of value to the broader community. it's arguably of greater value to me than a public golf course or swimming pool (i don't use either) conversely i don't go to the drags, but i'd like to think that the presence of a dedicated venue for it might see some enthusiasts with an outlet.
privately running a dragstrip faces huge issues, not the least of which is the not in my backyard mentality, but simply not do it isn't actually an alternative, it's the absence of an alternative.

i suspect this thread is getting off topic, it's tragic what happenned to the people involved in this crash, yes it was caused by stupidity, and hopefully it will cause some stir in the circles that make decisions. something beyond permanent 40 zones that is.

Arjona VQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ & WH Statesman
lol bad habits right>>>? good song choice..

such a waste of life........yeh i mean im up that road everyday for uni and it is by far not the safest for dragging, potholes, bumps.... but i also think that, tracks or no tracks, street racing is always going to be an issue, they can increase policing of it but that means people are just going to try harder to avoid being caught. there will always be the d***heads out there, but hopefully some of them will have learnt their lesson.

condolences to the family of the deceased...

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
the fact of the matter is its happening, and nothing is working. could people here honestly do without a passion/hobby of theirs for 8 years? thats how long its between drinks, last time we had a strip i wasnt old enough for a license. every p plater down here dont know any better because theve never seen any better.

if you want to settle a score with a mate, both of you have to drive 6/8 hours to a track, either pulling your car on a trailer or risk breakdown and trying to get it back home. what would most young ppl do in that situation?

i love the fact u generalise and tie every p plater to the same brush, not all of us are ********s and do that, not having a go but its always 'young male p platers are the reason for all the problems' sterotypes that **** me off. yes im a p plater, yes young male but no way in hell would i drive like that