Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crashed vz ss questions

Trav ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ute
I have a vz ss ute that I have been fixing crashed in left pass headlight all panel work and motor n box have been pulled out and put back in.problem is now I have no spark and wont start only thing I have to put back together is the wires that were crushed wires were cut near the radiator I need to know if there is any wires there that will stop it from starting ,if not any help would be good

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
If the ignition, headlights, A/C and such parts were powered up when the crash happened, as wires were crushed together, shorted to earth and circuits were cross fed by incorrect voltages and consequent currents flows, there is a potential that your ECU, BCM TCM etc computer modules may have been hit by incorrect voltages etc.

If the motor bounced around and damaged wiring looms at the back of the motor that damage may not be visible, and this could cause issues with feeds to the transmission, and motor's overhead components such as ignition coils, injectors etc. I guess you have proved all of the fusible links at the battery, engine compartment, and all fuses including the cabin fuses etc are intact.

Maybe getting the computers checked out might be a good starting point.

If you can establish eg. the fuel pump is working, pressure regulator, fuel injectors etc are working by independent testing then the ECU could be the problem.

Can a Tech2 or scan tool be used to check that all the computers are communicating?
Perhaps DTCs may come up when you try to start the motor and give you an idea where to look.

Holden have replacement wiring looms, not real cheap, but hidden broken crossed up wiring still inside the loom's wrapping may not be obvious.

I investigated an engine loom for my VZ SV6 and Holden wanted about $380 from memory. It finally worked out being the ECU slowly failing over a period of about 6 weeks. The engine loom had relationships with the transmission across the rear of the motor, plugs, injectors, purge controls, throttle body, camshaft actuators, crankshaft sensors, BCM, alternator, A/C etc. etc.

I think Holden have a CD of the VZ complete service maintenance manual, which includes wiring diagrams etc., - not cheap I'm told.

Trav ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ute
I have checked all of the above have a mate with a tech2 having a look Friday but when I got the ute the wires were cut and the panel was remove I have a plug on the left of the power steer pump that is not connected I am looking for a part loom for it because I don't have the old bit but im not sure if that plug will stop it from starting the ute has been sitting for 4 years with no batt and I had to replace dash and air bags but that shouldn't stop it from starting hoping its not computer related I haven't changed anything but panels and the a rail have been told it mabe the key from sitting so long with no batt the ute has only done 85000km c how I go with the tech 2

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hi Trav ss,

I reckon you have a challenging project ahead of you. Good luck with it.
It would be interesting to get some ideas of what was missing/damaged as you progress through the restoration.

Trav ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ute
just a quick one the air filter box was damaged I have a new one but it wasent in when I tried to start it will the air flow censor stop spark because its not hooked up yet