Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crazy prangs you have witnessed

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I was thinking tonight about an incident that my mate and I shared around the mid 1970's, on a trip from Sydney to Jenolan Caves.

In those days, petrol was VERY cheap (about 14 cents per litre) and we all had V8's, except for Peter. Pete drove a Mini van. He was definitely a bit different to the rest of us.

Pete left by himself about two hours ahead of the rest of us to drive to Jenolan. We figured we would all arrive within a half hour or so.

The road into Jenolan from Sydney is very windy and on the day we travelled, it had been raining and the road was very slippery. As we headed slowly and carefully down the road, we found Pete standing by the roadside, with his Mini in the scrub with minor front end damage. However, being a Mini, it couldn't be driven. Fortunately, Pete was OK. He had been forced off the road by a car travelling in the opposite direction taking a corner too fast and swinging out into Peter's path. He took evasive action, but struck a roadside post and ended up off the road.

One mate and I stayed with Peter's car while the other guys drove down to Jenolan to arrange a tow. My car, an HG Monaro, was parked around the corner down a small side track where I figured it was safe.

After about ten minutes, Captain Goombah in an old Mark One Cortina comes double shuffling down the road too fast. He makes it around the right hander where we were, but lost it on the left hander near my parked car. Crunch, another dead car, into a post. We quickly moved my car into a much safer location and pushed the Cortina into the track where I had been parked. Goombah waits for the cops and a towie......

Cops arrive to investigate Peter's prang. While they are there, Goombah Mark 2 in an old Beetle comes down the road, loses it on the right hander and slots the embankment. He then selects reverse and goes to drive back up where he had just come from - PC Plod pulls him over to give him something to read......

Another five minutes, tow truck turns up and stops alongside Pete's car. The car following, a Mazda 929 driven by Goombah 3, slides down the slippery road right in front of us and slots the tow truck dead center. Tow Truck 1, Mazda 0. Goombah 3 then comes up to the cop and says "Umm, I'd like to report an accident...."

Goombah 4 drives down, gets distracted all the action, and suddenly realises he is running out of road. He hits the pick and skids towards the road side, where it drops away suddenly and he will be relying on a big tree to stop.

Cops are by now getting very exasperated. My mate and I have had the best hour of free entertainment we have ever had. None of the drivers could understand why we were laughing so much. Three prangs and one near miss in less than 60 minutes, all within a distance of about 50 metres. My other mates were really pissed off that they had missed all the fun.

Some people just don't have any sense of humour.......

Anybody else witnessed really crazy behaviour leading to prangs? (Not involving yourself)

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Heh, thats quite a story, but are you sure Pete didn't just ditch his car all on his lonesome? ;)

Personally I haven't seen anything as grand as that, but YouTube sure has :)
YouTube - Car Crash In Snow - Stupid Funny
...and much, MUCH more.

digger747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Heh, thats quite a story, but are you sure Pete didn't just ditch his car all on his lonesome? ;)

...and much, MUCH more.

HAHAHA that has to be the funist thing i have seen in like 2weeks lol i cant stop laughing (poor buggers thou)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

...and much, MUCH more.

I can't work out wat the hell was happening. 1- All driving stupidly in bad weather. 2- Destruction Derby. 3- Ice skating. 4- Combo of all others. I'm betting number 4.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I was thinking tonight about an incident that my mate and I shared around the mid 1970's, on a trip from Sydney to Jenolan Caves.

In those days, petrol was VERY cheap (about 14 cents per litre) and we all had V8's, except for Peter. Pete drove a Mini van. He was definitely a bit different to the rest of us.

Pete left by himself about two hours ahead of the rest of us to drive to Jenolan. We figured we would all arrive within a half hour or so.

The road into Jenolan from Sydney is very windy and on the day we travelled, it had been raining and the road was very slippery. As we headed slowly and carefully down the road, we found Pete standing by the roadside, with his Mini in the scrub with minor front end damage. However, being a Mini, it couldn't be driven. Fortunately, Pete was OK. He had been forced off the road by a car travelling in the opposite direction taking a corner too fast and swinging out into Peter's path. He took evasive action, but struck a roadside post and ended up off the road.

One mate and I stayed with Peter's car while the other guys drove down to Jenolan to arrange a tow. My car, an HG Monaro, was parked around the corner down a small side track where I figured it was safe.

After about ten minutes, Captain Goombah in an old Mark One Cortina comes double shuffling down the road too fast. He makes it around the right hander where we were, but lost it on the left hander near my parked car. Crunch, another dead car, into a post. We quickly moved my car into a much safer location and pushed the Cortina into the track where I had been parked. Goombah waits for the cops and a towie......

Cops arrive to investigate Peter's prang. While they are there, Goombah Mark 2 in an old Beetle comes down the road, loses it on the right hander and slots the embankment. He then selects reverse and goes to drive back up where he had just come from - PC Plod pulls him over to give him something to read......

Another five minutes, tow truck turns up and stops alongside Pete's car. The car following, a Mazda 929 driven by Goombah 3, slides down the slippery road right in front of us and slots the tow truck dead center. Tow Truck 1, Mazda 0. Goombah 3 then comes up to the cop and says "Umm, I'd like to report an accident...."

Goombah 4 drives down, gets distracted all the action, and suddenly realises he is running out of road. He hits the pick and skids towards the road side, where it drops away suddenly and he will be relying on a big tree to stop.

Cops are by now getting very exasperated. My mate and I have had the best hour of free entertainment we have ever had. None of the drivers could understand why we were laughing so much. Three prangs and one near miss in less than 60 minutes, all within a distance of about 50 metres. My other mates were really pissed off that they had missed all the fun.

Some people just don't have any sense of humour.......

Anybody else witnessed really crazy behaviour leading to prangs? (Not involving yourself)

That's bloody epic mate, what a day :p

Craziest I've ever seen was a blue/grey Commodore on the Eastern Freeway doing a half pirouette and barrel roll off the embankment on the oncoming side. Dust and smoke went bloody everywhere, but I was gone past before it finished pinballing off nearby objects.

According to reports, it was the third/fourth rollover on the Eastern in past months I think :p wtf!!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I witnessed many good accidents but well all of them involved me :p dont think I've ever actually witnessed a crash besides minor bingles....

Wow i was wondering if someone would say that +1 for getting it in the 2nd post :thumbsup:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When we first arrived on the scene, we suspected he might have had a lose, but after seeing these dim-bulbs losing it one after the other, we weren't so sure. His car was facing the wrong way before the bend, not after trying to go around it. You could see where his car had gone off the road to the left and struck the post, then spun around to end up facing back uphill.

If he'd spun out, the damage wouldn't have been the front of the car and he wouldn't have ended up the way he did.

Nah, we gave him the benefit of the doubt.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
i turned up at the scene of an accident(im in the CFA), car full of indians had rolled this is it was a dead straight road middle of the day wasnt even windy nice spring day. as far as i could tell the bloke wasnt paying attention veered off the left hand side on to the gravel **** himself, ripped it right then realised hes over corrected ripped it back left, and with all the swerving the back end slewed out left hit the bank on the side of the road and flipped. so it we pull up theres seven of em all gather around the car getting there **** out smoking ciggs were ****ing screamming at them to put em out LPG tank in the boot no dramas after that had me a bit worried though

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
Hmmm, OP lot needed a warning triangle or two, or three.

70's - Up to July 1978 NSW still had (//).