Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crazy thought - can this be done?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hey everyone,

There's a lot of brilliant people in this forum so hopefully someone will know if this is possible or not. The cordless phones we have suck (compared to a mobile).

We have many spare left over mobiles that don't have a job any more and I wanted to know how possible it is to use them on the landline as cordless phones? I think the handset this may be most possible with would be this Nokia e61 because it has WiFi.

Does anyone know if this is possible or just some crazy thought? I imagine it would involve a dial up modem to interface the landline with a PC, then some sort of software on the PC and phone to connect them via WiFi and allow the handset to receive the calls from a place other than the cell tower.

Possibly even skype?

All suggestions and comments to snap me back into reality welcome :D

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I've never heard of it being done...i can't imagine it would be easy, or cheap.

Perhaps it could be done with a phone like the E61, if you could run a VoIP application on it, use it as a VoIP phone....

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
wat is wrong with your cordless phone. like which bit sucks about it

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I remember something sorta in my head about some dude using mobile phones as landline phones but I can't recall who, what , when or anything . But im pritty sure it can be done

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
wat is wrong with your cordless phone. like which bit sucks about it

They have bad reception, can barely hear what the other people are saying though it's probably due to interference with our wifi as well... plus these mobiles are so much better in terms of feel and customisation.

Just thinking about repurposing instead of letting them sit there, and solve a problem.

Guess I'm dreaming, thanks for the comments anyway guys

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
You'd have to write all the software yourself I expect, never heard of anything like this being done before.

Basically, getting the PC to interface with the landline via a standard dialup modem is very possible, then obviously you need to bridge the PC and the mobile. The biggest hang-up (no pun intended) here would be what limitations the mobile OS has, and what kind of apps it can run. For example, if you can only run Java apps on it, it might not be able to interface with the microphone in the phone, and the app would have to be constantly running so if the phone rang, the mobile could receive the call.

Wether you'd have to use bluetooth, or if you could leverage the WiFi I'm not sure either.

My suggestion, would be sell the mobiles on eBay, and buy some better cordless phones :) You can get phones which use different frequencies if you think you're getting interference. IIRC 802.11a/b/g runs in the 2.4ghz spectrum, and 802.11n runs in the 5ghz spectrum, so if you have 802.11g and get a 5ghz phone, you should be fine.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I know you want to reuse but a decent cordless phone should be satisfactory. There are cheap nasty ones out there that take two hands to hold but there are some around that are mobile phone size and able to be customised reasonably well (lights, ringtone etc).

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
It can be done by VoIP on the mobile phone.
You will need:
Mobile phone with WiFi Support.
WiFi Internet Access.
A VoIP Provider. (eg. www.mynetfone.com.au)
VoIP software on your mobile (Try www.fring.com.au)
Just setup the Fring software on your mobile phone with the mynetfone account details & your WiFi Details and the mobile phone will make VoIP calls from your mobile using your WiFi connection

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
It can be done by VoIP on the mobile phone.
You will need:
Mobile phone with WiFi Support.
WiFi Internet Access.
A VoIP Provider. (eg. www.mynetfone.com.au)
VoIP software on your mobile (Try www.fring.com.au)
Just setup the Fring software on your mobile phone with the mynetfone account details & your WiFi Details and the mobile phone will make VoIP calls from your mobile using your WiFi connection

was gonna say exactly this. i know my n95 8gb has inbuilt voip capability. i can set up my mobile to use voip while im at home and connected to the wireless router, and to use my mobile service while im away from it. I can also receive calls from either if i am in my voip area (home).

haven't set this up because i have no need at the moment (still using less than my mobile cap so i dont care atm), would be cool though.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
do you have adsl at all by any chance?