Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crazy Torque Figures - Are they right??

izedso

It's not a family wagon!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Acclaim Wagon
Hey all,

Finally got it all going, in 6 week period I went through both an Engine & Auto.
Engine is now 100,K VT V6, Auto is just a stock reco.
Took it into Mike's Dyno, due to a metallic rattle in the engine and get a base power figure before any major mods. (Just custom CAI so far)

I looked on the forums but no-one seems to have any real figures I can compare with.
The dyno figures have shocked me a bit, I dont know how true they are.
On paper it pulled 95.4rwkw & 636nm torque (at the treads)
The power figure seems about right, but the torque seems to be off the chart.
The torque line actually has its highest point at 59kmh, then goes down:cry:
Any ideas if this is right or not are much appreciated.

Any one else had their beast dyno'd latley?? If so what figure did you pull?

I dont have a scanner, but if someone in the SE Suburbs who does wants to help me get the dyno sheet up, PM me.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
um, i just read 636nm torque!??!? oh my god wtf. i wanna see what the rest have to say about this!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
That's torque at the wheels, not at the engine. Don't forget the car has a gearbox, diff and wheels on it :)

izedso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Acclaim Wagon
As far as I was aware the VS-VT engine had 147kw at the flywheel from factory, which by my rough euneducated guess 95rwkw is about right(especially for a 100,00k engine) But I dont know what the torque figures should be??

Girl Torque

VL Calais 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais.. etc
doesn't sound right. My hubby's 502 was 480hp with 550+nm torque.. and she's a bigg motor

izedso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Acclaim Wagon
I agree it doesnt sound right.. As far as I am aware that is the sort of figure a turbo'd beast might pull.
It does pull damn hard off the line, and traction in the wet is non existant, but 600+nm seems ridiculous.

Can anyone suggest a second dyno place in SE suburbs??

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Dude, what is being measured at the rear wheels is not the same as torque at the engine. Greenfoam told you why this happens, just not in a lot of detail. It's called torque multiplication. The gearing of a commodore is such that in top gear the wheels are spinning slower than the engine by a factor of 2.156, in lower gears and with the torque converter unlocked that ratio is higher. So the torque that appears at the wheels will be much higher than it is at the engine. It's a thing called mechanical advantage, kinda like using a lever to lift something heavy.

95.4kW is actually quite respectable for your vehicle if it's fairly standard. Dunno why you're upset about the torque curve being a little peaky, it's a standard engine FFS. Put a few mods on it get it breathing better and you should see it flatten out quite nicely.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
He speaks the truth does pandaman :yeah: