Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creaking/clunking possibly from sway bar?

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey all! My 2010 omega Wagon has been fantastic until after a recent trip from Melbourne to Brisbane. Since I've noticed a creaking/knocking when going over bumps (the roads up here are super uneven so its constant). I only notice it when going under 60kms, and it's coming from the front left I think. Some googling and asking has told me it's likely the sway bar links or bushes. Going through the bonnet, I think the bushes are okayish - though they feel very brittle which may be normal. Does anyone know if I can change these without jacking the car up? I'm a poor student without most equipment and I'm parking on a street.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Sounds like sway bar link pins. Mine made the same noise. To check them undo the bottom link from sway bar and check the ball joints for wear.
When I checked mine they felt ok, but when I removed the bottom link from the bar the rubber around the ball joint was split and had heaps of play in it.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Hey all! My 2010 omega Wagon has been fantastic until after a recent trip from Melbourne to Brisbane. Since I've noticed a creaking/knocking when going over bumps (the roads up here are super uneven so its constant). I only notice it when going under 60kms, and it's coming from the front left I think. Some googling and asking has told me it's likely the sway bar links or bushes. Going through the bonnet, I think the bushes are okayish - though they feel very brittle which may be normal. Does anyone know if I can change these without jacking the car up? I'm a poor student without most equipment and I'm parking on a street.

You can get to the sway bar bushes by putting each wheel at full lock an accessing them from the wheel arch.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The D bushes are not too hard to do without jacking car up. Just open the bonnet and you can reach down to the sway bar and info the 2 bolts on each bracket. Those D bushes only cost about 15 bucks a pair :)