Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creamy/oily sludge build up on radiator cap

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
I have noticed this for awhile.Dont seem to be using any water or oil.Motor seems to be running fine,although heater seems to take awhile to heat up.Any clues?

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
How much is in there? cause if its like a yogurt lid then i would be concerned that its a head gasket. Unless some goober has put oil in ur cooling system.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If the previous owner followed the proper guidelines on coolant he would have added a number of "tablets" - supplied only by Holden with his last coolant change. These "tablets" are supposed to lubricate the water pump among other things and will leave a brown oily deposit on the radiator cap. Also a lot of mechanics will use grease or oil as a gasket/sealant when assembling engine components - this then finds it's way into the cooling system and as oil is lighter than water it floats to the highest point - the radiator cap.
Good Luck.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Not a shitload ,just enough to cause concern.Been like it for about 12 months.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I wouldn't worry too much - like I said before it's normal if the car has been serviced according to the factory guidelines. The heater on Commodores is fairly slow to warm as the heads are cast iron - takes at least 2km to start giving heat...you could change your thermostat which may be jammed open - also check the heater tap....make sure it fully opens when you turn the dial to hot.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
so long as it hasn't changed the color of your oil to a milky brown :p

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Yeah, check your oil next change... if its really bad (milky) its gonna be either your intake manifold gasket or your heads.... id go IM first as they tend to go more often than the heads do... either way it has to come off should something be wrong!

aZk.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Just changed the oil,nothing seemed to be suspicious.Do you know the correct capacity?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
4.3 litres with a filter change or 4.0 litres without.