Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creating an AWD Monaro.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Awesome job on the conversion..

Having said that it seems pretty pointless doing it and keeping the auto? Surely you're doing this to make it more of a drivers car?

Plan is to run it like this for a while to make sure it is all good. We are discussing the manual conversion right now. Have to come up with an adapter to join up the Tremac to the transfer case. But for now it is pretty fun the way it is.

Hi Edelbrock 1,
I'm looking at doing something similar, lifting a V6 crewman 2WD, 100mm using an Adventra front end, no diff, front axles or transfer case.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Emailed Holden customer assistance centre after the track and ground clearance for the crewman VZ and Adventra VY so that I had the manufacturers specs for the engineer/Qld DTMR. Holden advised that 1,617mm is the front track for both cars?
Thanks,
Dingo
The AWD cars are 30mm wider track than the 2WD versions. Posed a few issues with getting the wheels to sit under the guards properly
Big job to fit the AWD suspension. I know nothing about suspension, but wouldnt it just be easier to raise the stock set up?

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
I have a few more pics of the build. What in particular do you want to see? Looking at the car now will give you no clues as it just looks like a stock Monaro.

But I have a few pics of the build at different stages. Just let me know what you want to see.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
I have a few more pics of the build. What in particular do you want to see? Looking at the car now will give you no clues as it just looks like a stock Monaro.

But I have a few pics of the build at different stages. Just let me know what you want to see.

Just upload them all dude.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
What a fn nightmare. But got it sorted. What should be pretty simple, turned into a comedy of errors. All I wanted was new tyres on the car. Had 235/40/18's all round. Due to the track being a little wider than stock and the tyres nearly poking out the sides of the guards, I can not go any wider. But I wanted a bit taller tyre to fill the wheel arch gap. So decided on 235/45/18's. For the rear I wanted a little wider so went with the 255/45/18's. Well that was the plan anyway, someone forgot it was AWD and needed the same rolling diameter all round. Bit of research discovered that 265/40/18 and 235/45/18 had identical rolling dia. So it was set, that is what we would run, except that not many manufacturers make those weird sizes, few phone calls resulted in Bridgestone Potenza making them. So ordered a set of those and went to get them fitted. Rock up and they refuse to fit them on the back because I still have the stock 8 inch rims. Looking at the 265's I am doubting they would fit in the wheel arch without rolling the guards, something I don't really want to do. So I decide to put 235's all round. They order in another 2 and I go back 2 days later to get them fitted. I had over the keys and walk out (missus waiting in other car) and fella says to me "do you have lock nuts?" Ah you have to be joking.... The lock nut is home on the bench in the shed from when I had the wheels modified. Great. Back home to get it. But we got there in the end, the old girl has got fresh rubber all round and the taller profile fills the wheel arch nicely.

Pics to come.

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Glad u got it sorted mate, cant wait for pics.......

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Had an absolute blast yesterday, took the AllPaw Monaro out to the Collingrove Hillclimb come and try day. (you tube it for some pretty good vids of the track) It is a narrow winding 700 meter run up a small hill, and what a blast it was. Could finally push the car and find its limits that you would never really be able to on the street. Was able to induce some understeer when the car was pushed to its limit, but not something you would ever get close to on the street.

Now for the times, but a bit of background. I have never run this track before, hell I have never even done a track day before. I was up against a HSV GTO 6 litre auto, Mafless tune with slicks. He has run the course on at least 5 occasions with 6 runs each time, so safe to say he knows the track. His best time was a 39.1. Also had a 2003 CV8 that was manual, sticky tyres, also had run the course a few times. His previous best was a mid 39.

So then it was my go, we did the reccy run with all 90 cars doing a slow run to see what the track was like...... Either way there was decent run off if I did venture off the track, so it was decided, hold it flat and steer and minimal brakes. I was actually shitting my pants.

First run I got scared and used the brakes. 40.21 But thought it would be pretty easy to drop into the 39's.
Next run was less brakes and more pushing, but the damn traction control put the brakes on the fun. But still managed a 39.61. Stoked.
Third run it was decided to not brake at the first corner at all, seems only pussies brake into that, seems I am a pussy, just couldnt stop the brain from dabbing the brakes, but this time with traction off and locking it back to 1st for the S's I was able to squeeze a 38.98. YAY, happy dance. 14th fastest out of 90 runners, with some dedicated hillclimb cars........... Very Happy.
Next run I was fully prepared, traction off, knew where to drag it back to first, but still had to dab the brakes into the first turn, I know the car can do it flat, but I get scared, still dont think the dab does anything to slow the car but it makes my brain feel better. The result being a 38.64. WOW, never thought that I could have pulled that out. But it equalled an unhappy GTO owner. LOL But that was the best run of the day. Rest turned to crap when a GoPro was fitted to the car and I got confused trying to start it and forgot to turn traction off. Then last run was (or felt) blisteringly fast, but dropped 2 wheels in the dirt and that was enough to slow it to a 38.91.

But I would say that with someone that actually knows how to steer this thing, there would be a good second left in it, I can see a low 37.
Getting it off the line quick was an issue, tried everything to get it off the line quick, but I think the only way would be to upgrade the convertor, so there are some gains to be had there too. Plus a new convertor certainly would not hurt its street performance either.

But overall, very very impressed with this thing. I had a blast all day. But I am sure that with my steering ability and a stock CV8 I would have been in the 40's.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Had the front wheels in getting some meat shaved off them this week. All up they were able to take off about 8.5mm off the seat so that the wheels can sit under the guards further.

Have you considered running more neg camber? I've got -2 degrees to get my wheels under.

I would love it some some fitment pictures show just how the wheels sit in the guards.

This car is just awesome. Great idea that you've pulled off. I'd just get that manual sorted out and some nice coilovers all round and see what kind of times she does :)