Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creating an AWD Monaro.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Awesome effort for a cool project which doesn't use too many custom parts.

I noticed your in Adelaide, have you driven it through the Hills?

Yeah gets driven in the hills all the time. It is hard to find the limits on the street with this thing, it hangs on like nothing else.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
That is kind of cool!

I have always been a fan of 4WD turbo cars, but this is even better!

What is the torque split from the transfer case? Not sure if you said but do you have front LSD or does it run open?

I have seen on here a link to the tiptronic (flappy paddle) kit around $700 USD I believe, I thought that was actually pretty cheap! If you go this way, please post up and let us know how easy it was to fit/ use.

In your hill climb do you believe it is the traction off the line of the handling that gives the edge in your times?

Love this project, and good on you for having the know how to do it!

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Its a 60/40 rear/front split, officially it is 62/38 or some crap like that. But 60/40 is close enough.

Currently the front diff is open, but we are investigating a quaife centre for it. My diff fella thinks he may be able to find a centre to suit. Just need to get a spare diff down to him so he can suss it out.

Overall handling is the key to better track times, before the AWD conversion I could find the limit of the car pretty easily on the street, but since the conversion, I get scared way way before the car even looks like breaking away, so I have not really found the limits of it yet.

Definitely not off the line as it doesn't feel that quick off the line, with the stock convertor it tends to bog down. Hence looking to upgrade the convertor to try and get the thing off the line a little quicker.

Still not sure which way I will go with the gear box yet, for now just happy to drive it and have some fun with it.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Currently the front diff is open, but we are investigating a quaife centre for it.

In not sure thats a good idea....I've recently driven an awd that had a LSD fitted to front. It didn't like to turn at all under power!!! And consequently diff was removed within two days.... Up to you though of course.

Do you have an aftermarket rear centre? If not I'd suggest going to s harrop trutrac, you will find that will make a big difference!

----500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1----

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
In not sure thats a good idea....I've recently driven an awd that had a LSD fitted to front. It didn't like to turn at all under power!!! And consequently diff was removed within two days.... Up to you though of course.

Do you have an aftermarket rear centre? If not I'd suggest going to s harrop trutrac, you will find that will make a big difference!

Was thinking similar, like driving a 4WD with diff lockers on!

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
The quaife center should act like an open center and just transfer drive to the tyre that has grip. I will be hauling it out if it does anything other than that. It already has a tendency to understeer if pushed very hard. Last thing I want to do is make it worse.

Read diff has had an LSD fitted. So essentially I am always driving at least 3 wheels. From all accounts an LSD or tru trac in the rear diff really wakes these AWD cars up.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
So the quaife is like a trutrac...mechanical not clutch type like the standard commo LSD. The Tru-Trac makes a massive difference compared to the standard ls.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Learned a big lesson in the importance of good tyres yesterday. Took the AllPaw Monaro out to another Hillclimb, Bought a set of old rims with some tyres that had not been used in a year or 2, put these on so I didnt destroy my good road tyres. Well that was a huge mistake, the difference in the car was incredible, was turning the tyres off the start line (something it has never been able to do before) and it just felt 'slippery'. Of the 7 runs that I did, only managed to stay on the track on 2 of them and I was 2 seconds off the pace from when I first took the car out.
Needless to say, those tyres will be dumped in favor of some semi slicks next time.

1989mitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6 ute
This is very interesting , I own a 2005 black VZ GTO dream car always wanted one. I seen the coupe and the cross 8 variants and wondered if it was possible .

Well done mate , I was unaware of the wider track . My Monaro is pushing out 1000rwhp plus so not sure this would suit but maybe if I ever buy another one I'd look at doing this . Manual FTW !!

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
There are some cars out there running some decent numbers through the stock transfercase and diffs. So the system can handle the HP no worries.

There is a Whipple charged Adventra with 450 AWKw, and the guy that did my build had his on the Dyno at over 400AWKw when a torque limiter kicked in. That is gone now, but has not been back on the rollers, I am thinking it will be up around 500 AWKw. So the system can certainly handle it.