Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creating an AWD Monaro.

ONROADYNO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Absolutely awesome conversion. I do like your manual conversion idea. I have an article of a 4L80E conversion into Adventera. Workshop in Sydney. Craigs Automatics.
Go the All Paw

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
I would love a copy of that article on fitting the 4L80E into these things. If I dont go manual, I would like the idea of putting an 80 in it for a little more punishment.

The guy that did my conversion is doing another one right now. Putting the AWD system into a Maloo ute. So having to haul out the T56 out of the Maloo. I have asked him to try and dummy up the T56 with the transfer case to see how hard it would be. See if there is an adapter currently made by GM that would allow us to just bolt the transfer case on. Not holding my breath, but hopeful. Failing that we can always just CNC up a new adapter.

Been exactly 12 months now since we did the conversion and it has not missed a beat. Overall, very impressed.

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
any recent pics?

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Has not changed much.

Just put some 45 series tyres on it to replace the 40's.

Got pulled over the other day, cop was a real prick, told me that the rear was too low and defectable and was 'dazzled' by my head lights. Wrote me out an expiation notice with "caution" written in the amount to pay column.

So I have to remove the low springs from the back and put the original FE2 back in. Really do not want to get this thing defected, would probably have to get the sucker engineered to ever get rego again. So have to make sure it doesnt happen.

Will snap some pics next time I have it out.

The guy that did my conversion came to Adelaide the other day on a rushed trip. So I dragged the Coupe4 out of the shed and we went for a blast up in the hills. He had never driven one before. Was good to get it out. So totally different to drive than the AllPaw Monaro, 2 cars, very similar, yet so different.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
So I take it the cop did not realise the Monaro was AWD?
How is the coupe 4 different? Does it just feel more "factory" than your converted Monaro?

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Cop had no idea. Even if he lifted the bonnet he would not know. He would have to shove his head under the car and notice the drive shafts to be able to pick it. I have had club members look over the car and did not pick it.
I had it on display once and took the front wheel off so people could see. Even then some people had no idea what they were looking at.

Coupe4 just feels 'tight' and 'refined' Really the only difference now is the front suspension and the steering rack. Coupe4 has the linear rack, while the monaro gets the sloppy variable one. I know guys that have converted to the linear rack and have said it is the best mod they have done, transformed the car. I have a rack there for it, just have to get around to putting it in. While the front suspension is just lowered adventra. The lower control arms are nearly level, no ideal. While the Coupe4 set up is cast allow LCA's with revised mounting points.

So those 2 things alone could drastically change the way the car handles.
When I get some more cash, I do plan to change it all over. But for now, just drive the thing.... and Enjoy it.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
The guy that built my car is now doing an AWD conversion on a Maloo ute. Things are progressing pretty well, Engine n box is all installed. This one is a bit different to mine as the Maloo was a manual, so he has to do an auto conversion on it as well. But all fun n games. Drop me a PM if you want to know more and I will give the the build up link.

oldholdensarebest

oldholdensarebest
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 CV8Z Monaro; 2005 Adventra LX8; 1955 FJ Holde
Love this conversion, good on you. I have an LX6 Adventra with the paddle shift, would love a manual conversion some day!

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
I have a mate who is planning an AWD VZ Monaro, but with supercharged V6 and paddle shift. Just because he can.

It is certainly going to make people scratch their heads.

It is going to look 100% factory. Should be a good jigger once it is done.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Just finished putting the good tyres back on the Coupe and will go out to the hillclimb again on the weekend. Hopefully the warmer weather will improve the track and make the times a little better. Even letting the missus have a go at putting it up the hill......:doh:..... Hopefully she doesn't bin it!! :)