Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman Drive Shaft Blowout

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Hi guys, currently waiting on a tow truck to bring my car home as it is currently sitting on the side if the road.
Problem is that it has a busted bearing just before the diff. Has anyone had this problem before and what did it cost to fix and what did you have to replace.
jy4a6y9e.jpg

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Take the boot off and make sure the spline isn't damaged, and just replace the CV joint. They are known to wear out pretty quickly. Should be $150 for a crap chinese joint or $300 for a good one.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Don't know if it's just the angle of the photo but your diff looks like its pointing down a ridiculous amount. Is that normal?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Fair enough. It's a pretty easy diy fix as long as the splines not damaged. Just need to undo the 6x cap screws holding the CV joint to the diff and then unbolt the centre bearing so you can remove the tailshaft. Once it's out of the car you can figure out how to get the old joint of pretty easily

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
looks like you've lowered it judging by the way the angle the diff is sitting on?
leaf spring suspension will torque twist when you accelerate, but will return to normal while parked or cruising.... it wont move around 'as it needs to' unless there is something wrong.
you need to get caster correction wedges fitted to rotate the diff around to make the pinion angle and uni joint more inline again

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the diff is twisted, not sure what to do about it. For now I'm going down to Holden to get a new input spline, and everything that attaches to it... No chance of aftermarket as its solid rear axel.

What do you mean by castor correction wedges? Can I just loosen the leaves and twist it back? And yeah it's 2 inches lowered...

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Yeah the diff is twisted, not sure what to do about it. For now I'm going down to Holden to get a new input spline, and everything that attaches to it... No chance of aftermarket as its solid rear axel.

What can't you get aftermarket, the diff pinion or the CV joint? The CV joint and tail shaft parts are definitely available aftermarket (it's the same CV joint used on some jeep cherokees)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
if you go to a suspension place and ask them for castor correction wedges for the rear end and they will know what your talking about. you cant just undo the shackles and turn the diff up unfortunetly as they use a pining bolt to keep them located, the wedge is as its seem, just a bit of steel plate cut at an angle that gets placed between the axle and the leaf springs through the pining bolt,

ill 100% say that cv joint is a direct failure because of the lift, and you need to get it looked at or the same thing will continue to happen, it appears you have a very vague knowledge on how these setups work so I would recommend you go seek professional help for it

heres a quick pic that will sort of explain it

Caster Correction Shims

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the help guys, the parts are on their way from the east coast. I'm still not understanding the idea behind the twist in the diff, I can see now that I've been under it that the diff isn't in the right spot but I can't see why it would have done it or how to get it back... I'm listening to you guys and trying understand but I havnt done a lot of work in these areas before... Help is definitely appreciated :)