Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman problems

chaoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy crewman supercharged 6
hi all I have just bought a vy crewman it has a few things done to it like motor swap with the 3.8 super6 new suspension bushes ect but what I need to know is what problems do they have so you all know it is the base model windy windows no abs and it’s a one wheel spinner. I do have a clunk in the diff so I know I’m up for a new one what will fit? It has no horn as it just stays on when it’s conected and the fuel gauge reads empty all the time

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Crewmans and Tonners had diff problems, machining swarf was not cleaned out and putting metal into the bearings. Most got done under warranty.

Fuel gauge is probably sender, fuel gauges in them aren't very accurate when working either.

chaoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Awesome thanks.
I’m looking at putting an lsd in it being the base model is it possible to do so?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Yeah possible, personally id look into a truetrac center but they are a bit expensive. They work a lot better and last longer then the factory cone type LSD.

chaoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cool I’ll have a look at them. Or is it worth sorting out a refurbished kingswood diff? Or 9”?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You wouldn't go Kingswood diff, because even if you could get it to fit most of them are Banjo. A 9" is overkill and would cost a small fortune to make it fit. 9" might need to be shortened. If you have plenty of money you could probably fit a Kazz LSD centre but it qill set you back around $2k or more once set up.

chaoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so if I just went stock as it’s just a work horse that I want to have a lil fun in at the same time what would be the way to go? It has the supercharged v6 with 5 speed manual with inc clutch and fly wheel (button clutch)

chaoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so if I just went stock as it’s just a work horse that I want to have a lil fun in at the same time what would be the way to go? It has the supercharged v6 with 5 speed manual with inc clutch and fly wheel (button clutch)
The clutch I want to get rid of aswell so my partner can drive it too without stalling it