Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman spare tyre handle

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi, I got my first flat on my crewy earlier today. I got my jack, wheel spanner, jack and lock nut keys out. I then went to get my spare down and realised that theres a separate tool needed.
Luckily a passer by stopped who was driving a vz and gave me a loan of his spare and followed me the next 160 kays home.
But my question is could someone post a photo of the handle for me so i know what i am looking for at a wreckers?

Cheers Shane

Cobra30

Reaction score
Website
www.cobra30.com
Members Ride
VY V6 S2 Crewman
The handle is located in slots in the underside of the seat base - it's easy to miss - took me a while to find it.

Attachments

• 100_0128.jpg
    100_0128.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 5,898
  • 100_0129.jpg
    100_0129.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3,776

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Thanks mate. I read the manual and looked there. Its not there. It looks like the jack handle from a Hq-Wb. I have one in my shed i will try it out.
Cheers Shane

Dan 11

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SS ute
I have a VZ SS ute and got same problem, behind passenger seat i found jack, jack handle and wheel wrench.
i inserted the square end of jack handle in hole on rear panel,..it doesnt engage anything and just goes straight through,
does nothing? does this mean the winch is broken or something? ute is sitting garage with flat and cant get to spare

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The handle does go in a long way, first try usually misses the mark, and can be fiddly to get it into the square socket, it is hard to line up, as you can't see what is happening. Turn handle anticlockwise, first click can be hard...
I suggest that you hold your tongue the right way, take your time, and refrain from verbally abusing your car.

Dan 11

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SS ute
The handle does go in a long way, first try usually misses the mark, and can be fiddly to get it into the square socket, it is hard to line up, as you can't see what is happening. Turn handle anticlockwise, first click can be hard...
I suggest that you hold your tongue the right way, take your time, and refrain from verbally abusing your car.
so does this mean anyone with a handle can swipe your spare? is there anything else i have to do to engage the square, like push a switch somewhere?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Question 1 ….. Yep.
Question 2...…. Nope.

Dan 11

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SS ute
Question 1 ….. Yep.
Question 2...…. Nope.
Thanks for that, located it with the aid of flashlight, what a stupid arrangement, getting it out with stuffed shoulder no joke
like to see a woman on the side of the road change that spare

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Thanks for that, located it with the aid of flashlight, what a stupid arrangement, getting it out with stuffed shoulder no joke. like to see a woman on the side of the road change that spare

Glad you had a happy ending. Now that you have it out, give the winch a good clean and lubrication, it probably needs it.
A suggestion for next time … a block of wood 100x100x200mm, when lowering the wheel, support one side of the tyre on the block, lower the other side to the ground, and fully unwind the wire, that gives you enough room to get you hand under the wheel and manoeuvre the retaining plate out of the centre hole.
I prefer this setup to the spare wheel retainer used in the Ford Territory, that is a gut buster to operate, extract and replace.