Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman Under-Seat Sub

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Hi,
Firstly I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and has any hints or tricks?
The idea has already been set into motion by me and hopefully isn't too far from being complete...
The plan is to remove the plastic compartment from below the rear seat (drivers side due to jack being on passenger side) and place the sub under here.

What it looked like before I started
jAeRjAsg9KzIe.jpg

(note, the shaded areas show where the seat rests on the box so support is NEEDED here or else the seat will fall through your box and into your sub)

When I first had the compartment out I also realized that this left a hole in the floor which I will need to patch or run some dynamat over (or both):
jjzUAgmBroH2m.JPG

Next I made a mold of the plastic to the front of the box with fiberglass like so:
jL90asiP4ue14.JPG

I then decided that the box wouldn't be big enough so I decided (stupidly) to add some volume where the carpet used to sit and build it up with clay (could also use playdough) this made the carpet sit not quite as well as I would have hoped for but that's OK, you will hardly see it with the seat down but if I was to do this again I would not do it this way.

jcI0jdjCcHfE1.JPG

I also molded the top plastic that runs down the side of the box at this time.

Once I had this mold completed I added some MDF for the outside edge which didn't end up being tall enough but i will build it up soon and also added enough fiberglass to make the box a little stronger.

I have also recently found that this spare tyre winder holder may foul the sub during movement so it may have to go in the future (dremel off and patch with fiberglass resin and paint black) (or lower the mounting depth of the sub)
jyqsEBtlTYU7Q.jpg

The plan is to have most of the sides and rear made of MDF and patched together with F-glass.

I hope to run a Rockford P3SD4 shallow mount (400rms) or a Alpine Type-R SWR-T12 shallow mount (600rms) from my PDX-V9 with 559rms.

Any ideas, questions or feedback would be appreciated.

Rory

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
missing your back seat are we?

I'll need to look into getting a install done in the statesman to get some boot space back.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
missing your back seat are we?

I'll need to look into getting a install done in the statesman to get some boot space back.

yeah a little mate... I more just hate looking in to see a box sitting on my seat, also the box was digging into the seat :( install is easy enough, next time we meet up show us what you have in mind though... would love to see your plans

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
my plan is to get one of these or make one up

VR VS Holden HSV Commodore 12inch sub custom boot install 12" subwoofer box | eBay

and just drop the subs I already have in there into it (dual 12" 300W kickers). I'm happy with how it sounds as it is but that sub box I have in there now is ####ing huge lol. I'll then mount the 2 amps on either side of the subs (kicker monoblock for subs and alpine mrx-f65 for splits) and maybe upgrade the speakers. it's currently running Kicker KS series splits in the front and back so pretty simple really. I'll probably dynamat the boot while I'm at it.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
nice, so like a false wall sort of thing? yeah good idea on the dynamat too... hopefully over the weekend I can get a lot more done, the worst hing is as soon as you get on a roll you have to stop to let all the resin or glue dry :(

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, thats the idea. I'll do it all over a weekend (when I get one) or when I get the bits I need.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update

UPDATE:
Got a little more done over the weekend but not as much as I had hoped for, also ran out of resin again so hopefully I will get some sorted so I can do a little more over the next few days :)

This is baisicly where I'm up to now:
jvcEqY6hgjre.JPG

This is how the sub will sit at this stage:
jwcBvB3i9IlZo.JPG

This clearance is what had me worried for a bit last night but I realized that I should be able to sink the sub from the top layer and have it flush mounted :) there should be just enough clearance... I hope:
jbsOCjPBnSJHul.JPG

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
looking good.

should come up well, and you'll also get your back seat again.

I'm still thinking about getting a reversing camera, but I don't like the idea of having a camera in my numberplate garnish. I think I'll maybe get some sensors and a beeper instead.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldn't be drilling holes in my bumper to put these in to be honest mate:
Mazda6_Parking_Sensors.jpg

I would be more looking at putting a camera in beneath the number plate lip, maybe trying to flush mount it so its invisible unless your down low. Might be able to find something that clips in like a number plate light would and just have a lens sticking out beneath it and then either replace one of your lights with it or cut the bumper so that it just sits real nicely between the 2 lights (assuming that there is 2 lights)

Also I just found this and thought you might be interested as they are very flush... I know its for a Prado but shouldnt be too hard to make it or something similar fit
Reverse Camera 95 series

CCD SONY Car Reverse Rear View Camera For TOYOTA LAND CRUISER PRADO 2700 4000 | eBay

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride