Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crikey! Gettin In Gettin out A Tranmission MF5

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I had heaps of problems getting the transmission out and now I'm having big problems getting it back in.

Is there a trick?

Please help before I chop me fingers off searching for the flywheel hole.

Seriously, I'm having big dramas, tried to bring the tranny rear up and down, the front up and down and wiglin. Even Got under it and just thrust the whole bloody lot up but no joy:ranting:

I've managed to get the input shaft about 1cm below the hole where it goes into the flywheel, it's not resting on the clutch fingers but how do I get it to locate?

Seems like the bell housing keeps hitting on the underside of the car body.

Please, any suggestions would be great! I'm working on a concrete slab with about 40cm clearance fromthe bottom of the Bell housing to the slab.

Cheers

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
rotate it 90 degrees to the right and slide it in then align the locator dowels and chuck a few bolts in

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Thanks

Cheers thanks for that:thumbsup:

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Help!

I need help!

Ok, got that far but now I can't get the the transmission to closeup onto the clutch.

I've checked there's no obstruction or wires or anything so what now??:bang:

I've wiggled and wiggled but it just won't go together; I can only close the gap to about 3cm:(

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The spline on the front shaft might not be sliding into the clutch plate. Try to put the gearbox in any gear so you can turn the rear shaft so that the front shaft turns and hopefully lines up. If you had your clutch plate out it will need to be lined up so that the splines on the clutch plate are exactly centred over the spigot bearing. Also check that your clutch fork still moves back and forward freely, the thrust bearing might have slid forward and jammed things up.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Help!

I need help!

Ok, got that far but now I can't get the the transmission to closeup onto the clutch.

I've checked there's no obstruction or wires or anything so what now??:bang:

I've wiggled and wiggled but it just won't go together; I can only close the gap to about 3cm:(

As TC above said did you take off the clutch??

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Hi Tree cutter:)

Thanks for the advice; yep did that and she went in ok.

Ended up bunging a large socket and ratchet on that large nut by the crankshaft pulley that way I could work from underneath the car to turn the fly wheel a bit at a time and pull on the bell housing to see if the splines were meshing.

They meshed but not well so I used some calipres to check that the gap between the leading edge of the Bell Housing and the engine were the same. A bit of jacking up and down until the alignment was spot on and in she went in. I had the Misses push down on the ratchet to turn the engine and with the car in 4th gear I went to the rear of the transmission to check that the splines where the Prop shaft yoke goes in moved. It did so I was reasonably certain the splines had engaged.

What I also found useful was suspending a rope from a piece of wood that sat across the hole inside the car where the consol sits or where the gear lever sits. ;)
I drilled 6 holes in the wood and threaded some nylon rope so that it was suspended around the end of the selection housing to form a sling and at the same time I could lock off the rope. When I got the transmission to the right height with the jack I just tied off the rope sling removed the jack and then I could move the transmission backwards and forwards cos the rope sling provided a nice swinging support. All I had to do was support the bottom edge of the Bell housing with two hands and get things lined up which was a real help.:thumbsup:

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help:thumbsup:

The Transmission is all bolted up and I backed her off the ramps a couple of hours ago. She's running beaut and the gear changes are real nice

So, I'm now back on the road and the experience of ripping down my box and rebuilding it was a first for me. I really happy that things went reasonanbly well and a big thankyou goes out to those who helped me with my dumb questions:thumbsup:

Yippee, I'm on the road again:yeah: :dance:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
lol theres no such thing as a dumb question when your pulling a gearbox out.... glad to hear its in good working order:thumbsup: happy holden on:driving:

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Na, didn't put a new clutch in as one was fitted about 18 months ago.;)

I probably should have but beingmy first gearbox pull down and rebuild I wanted to see how she went before spending more bills.

Now that I know what I'm doing thanks to you guys :thumbsup: it shouldn't take that long to pull the box out again if someting stuffs up:whistling

Thanks again:D

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Im glad to hear you are up and going again. Keep up the good work.