Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CRIKEY!!! Thats a big one, let me wrestle it!!

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
vlv8vic said:
serious that is an up to date article? it looks like something from the seventies!

yep, today's paper.

Is this the biggest croc ever seen in NT
By REBEKAH CAVANAGH
08jul06

A GIANT saltwater crocodile at least 6m long and 1m wide has been photographed at a popular Territory fishing spot.

The monster -- estimated at more than 6.5m long -- has been basking on the banks of the Mary River at Corroboree Billabong, about 90km east of Darwin.

The Territory's most famous croc, Sweetheart, measured 5.1m. The two largest certifiably measured crocodiles on record were both 6.2m long, one of which was caught in the Mary River in 1974.

Marvelling about the Corroboree Billabong saltie, tour operator Ted Jackson, who captured these photos, said: "He was a massive old creature. I never believed there would be a croc on the planet that size."

"It was just amazing -- he was a giant. ... he would have to be 65cm high from the ground and his belly was about 1.3m wide. He was just massive."

Mr Jackson, 63, said the saltie would have been at least 40 years old.

"There was no damn way any of us would put our finger in the water.

"He's a precious creature, and at that size could easily attack or capsize a boat."

Mr Jackson, who operates Wilderness 4WD Adventures, had about 30 tourists on board his boat at the time of the sighting. He said they were all in awe at the croc's size -- everyone estimating it to be more than 6.5m.

"They were dumbfounded," he said. "Everyone was just amazed ... they certainly got their money's worth."

He said there were at least two private fishing vessels that also saw the croc as they passed it.

Mr Jackson is a regular on Corroboree Billabong waters and came across a 6m-long croc about three years ago, which also featured on the front page of the Northern Territory News.

"I thought the one I saw out here about three years ago was big, but this one is much bigger,' he said.

The two largest certifiably measured crocodiles on record -- according to online encyclopaedia Ask.com -- were both 6.2m long, one of which was shot in the Mary River in 1974 by poachers and measured by wildlife rangers, and the other was killed in 1983 in the Fly River, Papua New Guinea.

kalais6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
Personally i dont give a sh*t if its huge, massive, or ridiculous sized, I wont be going in the water to measure him up :D

On saying that the 6.5metre monster from the Territory, just stop and think just how long six and a half metres actually is. THATS FARKN MASSIVE.
Who's a nice lil crocodile then ?

B

Baritji

_Mukas_ said:
doesnt have to be that big to have a deer in its mouth. look at the size of the main torso, shoulder to hip, and there aint that much difference if any between the croc and the deer, so when you think about it, that dont make the croc all that big....
that and dont crocs drown there food and let it decompose for a while under the water so they can go back to it at another time, when food aint that plentiful.....a croc with a deer in its mouth aint that hard to believe, i wouldnt have thought

Wrong, crocodilians (crocs, gators etc) will NEVER eat decaying food. This is a myth created by those ignorant towards crocodiles and, unfortunetly, is now widely believed by the general public.

Crocodilians do SOMETIMES store carcasses (sp?) under mangroves etc, to attract animals which DO feed on carrion. Turtles, fish etc...

Also, you will find that an ALLIGATOR (Its pretty easy to tell its not a croc) strong enough to bring down an adult deer, and swim with it through the water would be pretty dam big!

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
just a bit of extra trivia...the alligator has more jaw pressure than a crocodile...commonly measured in psi. from memory, the gator has around 2,500psi of jaw pressure.....around your head.....imagine that:w00t:

_Mukas_

DJ Titan...Hardstyle guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Statesman
Baritji said:
Wrong, crocodilians (crocs, gators etc) will NEVER eat decaying food. This is a myth created by those ignorant towards crocodiles and, unfortunetly, is now widely believed by the general public.

Crocodilians do SOMETIMES store carcasses (sp?) under mangroves etc, to attract animals which DO feed on carrion. Turtles, fish etc...

Also, you will find that an ALLIGATOR (Its pretty easy to tell its not a croc) strong enough to bring down an adult deer, and swim with it through the water would be pretty dam big!

ok, then im part of the general public arent i....also i asked if they do. i never said they did for sure. relax man...

well you aint the first to say its an alligator,(i didnt post this thread so have a go at whoever did about calling it a croc, not me, ok!) and yeh so what if it is.....gator has the fat head, croc has the pointy yeh?....
so a gator has a full deer in its mouth....WOW!!!!!!!! lets all go crazy and act like weve never seen anything like it before.... :my: :w00t: :my:

brownie82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute SIDI M6 Karma Blue
Well sorry.... so maybe it is an Alligator?? And maybe just maybe is was photographed in America, Mexico, England, or Africa, oh and Antarctica. I didnt know it had been around for ages, i dont surf the net all frigging day. It was sent to me in an email so i thought id share it with you all. Then everyone started goin all Sir David Attenborough, just chill out every one FFS. Sorry it was even posted!!

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
you're forgiven.

just a tip for next time. If you start a thread with the words apparently, go and check out www.snopes.com or the urban myth site someone else posted. ;)

actually, i think that rule should apply to everyone posting any thread :p

brownie82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute SIDI M6 Karma Blue
vh-holden said:
you're forgiven.

just a tip for next time. If you start a thread with the words apparently, go and check out www.snopes.com or the urban myth site someone else posted. ;)

actually, i think that rule should apply to everyone posting any thread :p

Taken in.... and quickly disgarded:p

Will do mate thanx!!