Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cross8 '04

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Nothing like last minute. So don't want to cut up my bumper tho.
20230926_201033.jpg

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Made it back from Deni safe and sound, also without any extra govt issued stickers which was nice.

20230929_150201crop.jpg

The ute loved the straight open roads, Averaged just over 12l/100. I was wondering how it would go with the bar and mudflaps front and rear, my usual is between 15-19l/100!

I don't know if it is the 20 yrs since I last went that have dulled my memory or weather it was just another level of crazy, pretty much 24hr key bangers, limiter bashing and other complete lack of mechanical sympathy. We had been parked for all of 5 minutes and the guy parked opposite us was key banging and blew the insides of his cat across the driveway and set fire to the grass under my bosses AU.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
On a less fun note since coming back the small oil leak I had has become much bigger. I thought it was a rear main leak as it was dripping off the back of the engine, no big deal drop the trans and replace the rear plate. I had done the rocker cover gaskets quite a while ago but didn't clean the engine very well after. After a good clean it looks like it is actually the sump gasket.

On a standard car maybe a bit of a crap job but bolt the front diff to the sump ad then run a driveshaft through it as well and its starting to look really bad. Also while cleaning it looks like both inner driveshaft boots are leaking. I don't think they are split it looks like it is leaking between the boot and the joint.

The plan at the moment is to pull the engine and do the sump gasket, do the rear main anyway and check the boots on the driveshafts.

Is there anything else that should be done while the engine is out? I have seen some mention of valley cover seals and the oil pressure sender.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Front cover.
Oil pump
Pickup o-ring etc
Rear main
The oil bypass in the back there.

A lift in the springs because you are redoing the CV’s

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Mellings seems to be the go to. Or stock GM. Yours isn’t a worked monster. Standard oil flow.