Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cross8 clunk

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Can't comment on that fix. Hope it lasts, and I will put it into my file of useful info that I hope never to use.

yowiie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
Figjam
Just an update on the saga
As i mentioned in the previous post the problem appeared to disappear once I replaced the abs unit
Not sure why it went but it’s back again
I have replaced to transfer case oil and problem still persists, will change the diff oils tomorrow and see what happens
Not holding my breath
However I have noticed if I drop the car out of drive and put in 3rd it seems as though the clunking isn’t there
Could this be a gearbox issue

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Again, I can't say, sorry. Perhaps you are just as paranoid about having your vehicle in good order, like I am.
Could it be the driveline taking up slack ? Rear tailshaft CV and front CV joints OK ?. Any excessive radial movement in the wheels when jacked up ?
I can rotate my front wheels about 100mm at the rim when in Park before I feel strong resistance.
Mine makes dull metallic clunk noise sometimes when driving at a slower speed around the suburbs, I back off for a corner, then when accelerating out of the corner, I get a clunk. But there is no other unusual noises (that I can hear) during normal driving.
It has done this since I bought it at 75Km, and I have done over 50Km since, and not got worse. I can't tell if it is gearbox or diff clunk, I have just had the auto serviced ( no real reason, and not by Holden) and the mech showed me the old transmission fluid, it was a little dark, with no other bits in it, and he said that all looked and worked OK. Same for when the diffs and transfer case were serviced.

On a general note, I bought my Cross6 as a grey nomad touring vehicle to explore the great Australian outdoors, and apart from needing a new radiator after my last trip to western Qld, it has been trouble free, and sometimes get strange looks from 4WD soot blowing ute drivers in places that they think Commodore utes should not be.

yowiie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
I am particular with the car, but pretty sure this is is a major problem
Not sure who to take it to
Will do the diffs tomorrow and go from there

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
:(
I'm off past Brisvagas tomorrow morning for a birthday beer with an 'old' old mate. So by Friday, mine should have another 2,000 (hopefully trouble free) km on it.
Suppose all you can do is ask around locals for a good 4WD mech.

yowiie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
That’s one thing we don’t have is a good mechanic 2wd. Or 4wd
I do believe my problem is the gear box, I travelled 700klms today towing the boat. What would you guys suggest, in trying to rectifyiny the problem, will try and get some one to do a service on it, but I live in Glen Innes and we really don't have any automatic guys here in town
Worse case scenario would be to through another box in it, are all the vy vz boxes the same

yowiie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport
I do believe my problem is the gear box, I travelled 700klms today towing the boat. What would you guys suggest, in trying to rectifyiny the problem, will try and get some one to do a service on it, but I live in Glen Innes and we really don't have any automatic guys here in town
Worse case scenario would be to through another box in it, are all the vy vz boxes the same
gear box has been checked its all good, had the car to a mechanic and he says the front tail shaft can be turned quite a bit in the diff and suggests that maybe the problem
Anyone had a similar problem

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Mine has a poofteenth more than no movement in turning, and no back of forth movement.

If you do pull the shaft out, make sure it gets marked it so that it goes back the same way. This seems to be fatal mistake with AWD Territorys when they do repairs. Makes for all sorts of vibrations. Their forum is full of it.
Might be an idea to join and log onto https://www.fordforums.com.au/index.php , have a look at the SX to SY2 section for exploring a similar problem.
(Just don't mention you have a Holden, or make a bad comment about a Ford …… extremely BAD)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Sorry, delete reference to searching Ford forums. Their search function is rubbish … 'transfer case' will get 500 hits, 450 of which are irrelevant.
There are a lot of posts about vibrations, clunks etc, but no answers. The main suggestion is the '3rd bush' which is not a Holden thing.
As for you rotation movement in the front tail-shaft, it could be transfer case.

Maybe forum members with an Adventra could add constructive ideas.