Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crossover installation for SV6 VZ Commodore

SV6_Freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Sedan
Hi everyone. This is my first post but I have found help here before.

I have a question that I cannot seem to be able to find an answer for.

I am replacing the Woofers and Tweeters in my car. I have installed a whole new system...(2 amps, sub, 6x9 etc) all no problem.

I know how to mount the woofer in the door and the tweeter. The ONLY problem I have is where do I put the stupid crossover??? I know the amp runs into the input and then the outputs go to the woofer and the tweeter. But only one set of wires goes to the sub and one set to the tweeters. Where the #$% do I find the wires where they split off into the woofer and the tweeter????????? The stock tweeter only has a capacitor built onto it for the crossover. So I am new to this and am feeling really p****ed off right now.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks :)

P.S. Many other threads tell you how to wire them up but it seems noone has ever thought of telling people where you cut wires to connect them??!! Obviously you need a place where you can connewct both the woofer AND tweeter wires to crossover without having to run new wiring....which I would rather not do as have read that is is a pain...lol

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm confused as to what your asking. The crossover has two sets of outputs, a +ive and -ive to each speaker (tweeter and sub). So you hook the +ive sub output to the poistive on the sub, and the negative sub output to the negative on the sub. And the same for the tweeter. There is no wires connecting the tweeter to the sub.

SV6_Freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Sedan
acarmody: Sorry I know exactly how to connect speakers etc to the crossover. The thing I am not sure about is WHERE you cut wires to connect it in the first place. I need a physical location of the wires to connect it to without running new wiring. When the speaker wires leave the head unit I need to know where in the physical wiring to cut.

P.S. Obviously when the wiring leaves the head unit it must split into two sets of wiring so that one goes the to woofer in the door and the tweeter under the dash. Where do these wires split so I can conect the crossover? :)

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
All you do is connect the x over box to the original speaker wire, then from there you connect the new wiring to the woofer and the tweeter. You will need to do it this way, run new wiring from the woofer through the grommets in the door. Don't worry about the old tweeter wiring, just unplug it and leave the wiring in the dash

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
There's a thread here called speaker wiring colours, just cut them before they go through the door, where you cut them is up to you, but it's probably better you cut them close to where you will mount the x over

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So you don't have an amp powering the splits?

SV6_Freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Sedan
richardpalinkas: thanks for an answer I was finally looking for. acarmody: yes I am running 2 amps in my car (1 monoblock for the sub and a 4 channel for the front splits and 6x9 rears). I am using Pioneer TS-W3002D2 1000w, MB Quartz 150 RMS 4 channels, Boss 5000w and Fusion powerplants 120w RMS and JBL T696 150w RMS). Did my research....so far they sound amazing :) Only problem is before wiring goes into door there are 2 grey wires....which one will be for the speakers as obviously ony one can be for the woofer? Thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If it goes into the door than it will be for the woofer. The tweeters are in the dash. Just don't cut your power window wiring :p

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Wait so if you know how to connect up after the crossover, why are you using factory wiring. Run new cable from your amps to the crossover.

SV6_Freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Sedan
I was hoping not to have to run new wiring but if I have to then so be it. It's just that most posts I read say it is a bit of mucking around and was hoping to bypass that step. Thanks though. I do appreciate it....just need to know is it hard to get the new wiring through the rubber grommet on the door? Thanks :)