Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cruise cable question

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Hi all, tried to use my cruise a couple days ago and it didn't come on so I looked at were it connects to on the plate of the throttle body and seen that the cable had come off the connection, so I put it back on and tried it again same result come off again, the cable seems to be loose between the end and the plate that it clips into, buggered if I can work out how to tighten it up, any help would be great, thanks.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Does anyone know if the cruise cable stretches over time and needs to be replaced ? as I can't see how it can be adjusted [tightened up].

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Maybe try carefully bending the plate that it clips on to before the throttle body, without going and looking at mine that's all I can think of

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks mate but I think the cable is rat **** [stretched] over time, as I fitted the cruise control a couple years back but it was second hand when I brought it.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Mines stretched a tad, has movement, but it hasn't effected normal operation much. Like you, I have been unable to figure out how to adjust it, even though according to the Gregorys the adjustment is back down the cable near the cruise module. It's as if the cable is two piece (makes sense as I'd assume the module is used on different variants of GM). Apparently the connector looking thing is the adjustment point.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
I am looking at page 282 on my gregorys, there it says the adjustment is at cable lock plate, buggered if I can work it out.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I am looking at page 282 on my gregorys, there it says the adjustment is at cable lock plate, buggered if I can work it out.

Yea you're right, I think I gave up on the TB plate and moved down the cable to that other bit, but nothing about it is plate-like. Either way I'm not usually an idiot, but couldn't figure it out. Might have to phone a friend on this one :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
So i know vn-vr is different and easy to work out, don't have a VS here so i don't know what the adjuster looks like.

Now i have an early VT that is being ratted for parts and slowly disappearing and it still has the cable intact, hopefully VS is like this.

Locking "plate" in the locked position (now the tab has push stamped into it, i assume this means push to lock it in place after adjustment, but they forgot to put pull on there or it means push in the right direction.....)
30042013168 locked.jpg

Now the tricky part (front part pushed up), until it looks like the below blurry pics (it'll probably put up a fight and feel like it's gonna break so do it carefully and slowly), this is the locking plate in the in the unlocked position and the outer sheath closest to the tb moves in/out to adjust
30042013169.jpg 30042013170.jpg

Now I'd suggest following the gregory's manual for the correct procedure to adjust it, I know from experience on VN/VP cruise controls that if it's adjusted to tight when you resume to a set speed they tend to floor it and take off (if you resume a couple of km's under what they're set @ they will go over the set speed then drop back....... if it's in the correct position it should take up and accelrate slowly to the set speed and stop)

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Holy **** dude, just tried that and it worked, your blurry pics are more helpful than the damned manual, I was flexing the latch incorrectly. You rock Jx.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks very much Jxw, that worked perfectly, they didn't explain it properly in the manual at all,
many thanks mate.