Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

curious about VP IRS wheel offsets

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I was searching through justcommodores to find the wheel offsets for various models. I noticed that the VP IRS wheels had a substantially different offset to the live axle.
This offset difference was less in the VR/VS. I guess the offset was changed to avoid tyres rubbing on the wheel arches or something else. But then if these wheels are on the front, the scrub radius would also be different. Did GMH rejig the front end, or was the steering affected on a VP with IRS?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The change in offset in VP/VQ IRS was used to widen the front track and yes, it does alter the geometry, but, with one exception, the hard suspension parts are identical to the earlier live axle cars. The top strut bush was moved back to increase caster, something that was also done on the live axle cars at the same time. The IRS is narrower hub to hub and the wheel offset altered solely to allow the wider front without changing the hard suspension parts.

The other two Commodores to have the front track widened in the same way were the VN GpA and SV5000. They have narrower (VL wagon width) live axle rear ends.

Why wheel offset wasn't used to alter the track on all models I don't know. I suspect it was due to the wheel bearing loads (perhaps on ute and wagon).

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
No just the diff was narrower. The 26P 15x6s on the front don't affect steering at all

The total track difference is 34mm; (43-26) x 2 = 34.

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
So if someones trying to flog a set of 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 rims with 43P are they still going to fit without spacers??
VPSS rims are 31P offset and the 43P offset VXSS rim rub on the rear without spacers but was told a camber kit WILL fix it?? :|

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
So if someones trying to flog a set of 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 rims with 43P are they still going to fit without spacers??

There not going to fit even with spacers in the rear.

VPSS rims are 31P offset and the 43P offset VXSS rim rub on the rear without spacers but was told a camber kit WILL fix it?? :|

VP SS rims are 6 inches wide. The VX SS rims are 8 inches wide and should be 48P.

I have had VT Clubsport wheels and VT Inter on a IRS VP without a camber kit. Both 17x8 48P which rubbed the body. Used a 8mm spacer and cleared fine therefore changing the wheel specs to 40P offset. You a get 4 degrees adjustment with a camber kit from memory which should get the clearance without spacers.

My advice would be to buy new wheels and 8.5s alround.