Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Curise Controll Help

seabass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8 M5
hey, I have a LOW body controll modual and i am trying to install cruise controll to it i have wired the whole thing in but unfortunally it doesn't work as something has to be changed in the BCM. the BCM supplies power to the cruise modual and inturn switches the dash light on... has anyone done this befor...?

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Executive Manual with Cruise Control

You have been told incorrect information.

The cruise control function is available on both the low and high series BCMs.

I have a manual VS S2 executive that is running the Holden cruise control, which I fitted straight after picking the car up new in 1997. I did not need to change the BCM.

The problem will be somewhere else, probably in the wiring.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
From the factory book it says there a few types of bcm in the vr series and it states there are 3 low series bcms.The UTE ,the LOW and the MID.
The LOW as fitted as standard equipment to all exects without power windows or cruise and it then mentions the MID series that has these features as well as the HIGH series on calais/berlina models.Dont know what they used in a vs as base equipment for the bcm.
As a test to check it you could bridge out the pink/black wire to the grey/green wire at the bcm to effectively latch the power on all the time to the cruise module.When you switch the ign on the cruise on light should be on the dash if you have that wired to prove that part is working.
If it does you could temporarily leave that latching part bridged out to test the rest of the circuit if it is wired correctly remembering that the on /off switch on the stalk doesnt turn the system off when its bridged.
GMH put out a kit for cars that had the low bcm that used a small extra module to work the latch circuit...dont know if it still available.

Last edited:

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Check that you actually have the globe in your dash. The Cruise kit actually says check for the globe and comes either with it or advises to get one.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
Definitely not the BCM.

I have double checked with a workshop manual. The cruise control is supported by both the available BCM's in the VS series.

seabass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8 M5
OK, i have bridged the gap and put power directly to the modual, the cruise worked fine! so it is not the wiring. i have already put globes in the dash. the VR installation manual from holden says to replace the LOW modual with a MID. (my uncle worked on VR at a holden dealer and aquired the original GM instllation instructions) but i have seen cars with cruise on the LOW modual. and i have copped the wiring so am certain ever wire in in the correct position, as it works once i bypass the modual. i could put a switch in, but i want the original switch on the stalk to work!

So the all the BCM does is turn power on to the modual and in turn the dash light CRS comes on. But my BCM won't do this! i was to a small modification in the accual LOW modual will result in the problem being overcome...?

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you got a VS S2 or a VR?

I have two workshop manuals for the VS. Both advise that cruise control is available through the low series BCM.

May be a problem with the BCM.

If you have a VR, then disregard my comments.

If you have a VS, and are using a VR manual for wiring guidance, that might also be your problem. Since the VS and VR BCM ranges are different, I believe that there would be wiring differencxes between the two.

seabass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8 M5
i have a VS I and am using a VR wiring diragrm but not to wire up the BCM, i copied the wiring off a VS Exec with a LOW BCm installed after purchace of the car so it was easy to trace the wires. A si said though everything else works exept the BCM part of the operation all the 'set' 'reset' buttons work fine.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Like I said there is a little module in the factory kit for a vr with low bcm that effectively does this but I'm not sure how hard they are to find now or if they are sold separate.
What I did instead was I got a small push on push off switch out of a computer and grafted it into the little printed circuitboard in the stalk so it worked the same power on/off button and fed that to work a relay to do this job of latching the supply and feeding the indication light ...anyway lucky I pulled it apart as 2 of the 4 wires were broken inside the stalk ....bit of stuffing around but havent had any problems with it.

seabass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8 M5
yeh i thought about doing that, puting a different switch in but i don't want to have to resort to that as of yet. i have now been told that, unlike the VR series, the VS series LOW body control modual will support cruise, but mine still will not work.