Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Current E85 availability list - United

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Is it true ethanol fuel can eat the rubbers in the system? I suppose my question did not include fuel system issues including materials and construction of rubbers/lines/diaphragms etc from the tank to the carb ...

yes this is why fuel system upgrade is most important if not manufactured to run on ethanol

Steve a SQP in perth has a fuel system package for VF E85 compatability. thinking of heading down that track for performance.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6
Is it true ethanol fuel can eat the rubbers in the system? I suppose my question did not include fuel system issues including materials and construction of rubbers/lines/diaphragms etc from the tank to the carb ...
Yes if your car is not designed for it. VE and VF Commodores run quite happily on E10 and have compatible materials in the fuel system.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I won't run any E fuels in my cars. If it eats rubber and components in your fuel system by running E85, yet try to suggest E10 is ok for your car, then I figure, it will do the same damage, only it will take longer to do it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6
E10 is not E85.

E85 is a blend of petrol and up to 85 per cent ethanol https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/holden-drops-e85-from-commodore-20150415-1mlhax

Up to 85% ethanol ...
Obviously, but the poster above asked about ethanol eating seals and hoses without specifying E10 or e85. I made it quite clear that E10 is ok for all VE & VF, which it is. It 's been established further up that e85 in later engines is not.

I wanted to get ahead of any claims that E10 is "rubbish" or "will damage your engine" that often appear in these threads and are demonstrably false.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6
I won't run any E fuels in my cars. If it eats rubber and components in your fuel system by running E85, yet try to suggest E10 is ok for your car, then I figure, it will do the same damage, only it will take longer to do it.
Not true at all. E10 is fine. The rubbers used in Holden's fuel system are designed for E10 and ethanol in any concentration won't harm them.

The only reason you can't use e85 is because the sensor that detects ethanol content is not installed, and your engine will run lean.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Not true at all. E10 is fine. The rubbers used in Holden's fuel system are designed for E10 and ethanol in any concentration won't harm them.

The only reason you can't use e85 is because the sensor that detects ethanol content is not installed, and your engine will run lean.
Yeahhhhnahhhhh from me. I run 98 in all three of my cars. The only time they've had E10 in them, would have been the free tank of fuel you get with a new car.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6
Yeahhhhnahhhhh from me. I run 98 in all three of my cars. The only time they've had E10 in them, would have been the free tank of fuel you get with a new car.
Your choice of course, but based on common misconceptions and totally unnecessary

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I do not know for a fact what effects E10 has on fuel system and engine components, but ethanol is believed to be hygroscopic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

That is, ethanol absorbs moisture and some techs and in the marine industry say it is a problem ...

Is it a problem now? I do not know ...