Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

currently under going oil consumption test

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Thanks for the good info. Was thinking about glazed bores as my throttle body was clean with no real oil residule or soot build up at 42,000km. What do you think about the Holden fix Reprogramming ECM and TCM. Also car has never pinged and can run on the lowest octane non ethanol fuel. Could just mean it's not yet filthy with carbon being a non city car.
My VEII SV6 “was” in the burner club as well.

I decided to have a go at fixing this myself, as I was sick of the BS from the stealership.

I was talking to a customer of mine who builds race engines, he had one these LLT V6 engines apart doing some let’s just say "investigations" for someone.
He told me these engines are a work of art internally, very well engineered. He also said due to the design they will ALL use SOME oil, he explained the problem comes from they run very high compression and are hard on oil due to high internal temperatures.
The oil needs to be fresh and changed every 5000. He said the PCV system is sucking oil up at idle (hence the need for a catch can). This oil ingestion in turn glazes the bores when the car is new making the problem worse and before you know it you got a real burner. This oil contaminates or sits in the intake runners and gets sucked into the combustion chamber. The oil in the intake reduces the octane of the fuel causing a ping and fouls the back of the valves with carbon.

What I did was an oil flush with some Liqui-Moly Engine Detox when I did the oil change. I replaced the oil with Shell Helix 5W-40 full syn. At the same time fitted an Elite catch can and did a top end clean with the AC Delco top end cleaner. My engine had done 50,000 at the time and was pinging its guts out and running like crap on cold start. The car now has over 60,000 and has never ran better. I have gone from 2.5lt per 10,000 to not even adding any between my oil changes. 15,000ks is far too long for this type of engine to go without fresh oil as old oil will burn more than new fresh oil. I not recommending you do this or suggesting you do this. Make you own mind up, do your own research. A good place is check out the Camaro forums in the states.

The car is better on fuel and no longer pings, I get 11lt per 100 around town, and I don’t baby it either. I was getting high 13s. Oil in the catch can is as black as, I was catching a lot at first now I don’t even empty it between the 5000k oil changes. The oil when dropped at 5000 is still very clean, I think it could go to 7500 but 5000 is working for me. I have also noticed the tail pipes stay clean for a lot longer and the black crap on the back of the car is gone.

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
aint there 2 types of SIDI engines LLT and LFX ? cause mines LFX

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Can anyone here find a good price for a group buy for 5W30 full syn. Was thinking 2 off 10ltr drums each. Sure someone local in Sydney area would like a sale like that for 10 of us or more if interested.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Just keeping the thread alive for Holden
Blew the Black haze on a cop trying to entrap me. Was hoping for a defect, would be funny asking Holden to clear it. Could be normal as car has sat for days and 1st time I have floored it . Started asking around and a pretty honest private bloke said all the ones he has pulled down were caused by oil sludge so points to Holdens 15,000km service interval with **** oil to boot. I am going to try the Subaru upper engine cleaner as the wifes turbo gets it every service and I don't bother driving it any more to give it a fang clean out. Will use the Nulon or Winns product to clean lower before oil change. Also got good advice " don't use the flush products on an old motor that hasn't used it from low kms unless you want a spun bearing. Will prob use the cheaper suedo full syn oil like Penrite enviro as it conforms to the Holden dextron **** and is only in for 7,500km. Any one who bought their car from any of those sleezy Sydney dealers best hope they are using the flush chemical and should go the 7.500 as Holden don't care.

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
Has anyone solved the oil consumption issue, I haven't checked my engine oil yet as the new engine went in at 54,656km and the it had a service at 58,788km so the oil did t haw a chance to get well used.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Mine got the re-program update that shuts the flap fully. Has not burned any but oil is only 2,000km old. They also overfilled it and used diff oil that is the recommended spec 5W30.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
So far my LLT has gone from 2.5 liters per 10K to not touched a drop since last service 4.5K ago, Currently running Penrite recommended Oil for it.
Next service, which most likely will be it's last before warranty expires, I'll take it holden to get the re-program.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Hey GD81
What is the exact type of Penrite oil you are using?
Thanks

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
I have now completed 6,700km since last service after engine replacement, oil is only slightly down, probably 200mls. Which is fine since it was a mix of Freeway and Sydney CBD driving.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
Hey GD81
What is the exact type of Penrite oil you are using?
Thanks
HPR 5 SAE 5W-40
Still hasn't used a drop and it's now nearly 8K since service.
Was informed even though it's not 5-30 it is a recommended oil and will not affect warranty.
Just pleased it's stopped
and being -40 should mean it doesn't thin out as much under load.