Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

currently under going oil consumption test

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
i've just checked mine. Oil was full when i serviced it, 2000 kms later and it's just under half way on the dipstick. How much oil would i have lost?

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
to the half way line on the dipstick is exactly 1 litre
I also did some calculations:
My car has now 40thou on the clock and at the rate of oil I was going through, I have estimated that my engine has burnt off 16litrs of oil
LOL, what a joke eh?
Once i get this oil issue sorted on this engine, definately going to get Holden to topend clean my engine. If it does not get sorted, then in goes the new engine under warranty, from Holden
enough is enough I reckon. lucky I am still under warranty

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Are you sure the 1/2 mark on dip stick is 1ltr. Others have said the stick only only dips into the top litre or so. I don't understand how mine is stated by Holden dealer to be all Ok and nothing wrong. But they do say 15,000km service interval is good yet the car dash says not good. Their latest TV add states VF has been re-designed and developed, yeah right.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Are you sure the 1/2 mark on dip stick is 1ltr. Others have said the stick only only dips into the top litre or so. I don't understand how mine is stated by Holden dealer to be all Ok and nothing wrong. But they do say 15,000km service interval is good yet the car dash says not good. Their latest TV add states VF has been re-designed and developed, yeah right.

yep, the add mark to full is 2 litres

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
After over 2 years and 44,000km of dip stick checking I feel slight relief. All previous tests were all ok, nothing wrong or I should do the full 5'000km to test. Did the full 5,000 on old worn out oil (within Holden service spec of course). Included a short trip, Sydney to Forster return. 1 tank to make sure to burn some oil. Returned it with dip stick just touching oil. Few hundred km more and would have no reading. The dealer now states it uses more oil than it should and will put the claim in. Said to have used
1.4 ltr in just under 5,000km. Can now start using decent oil and half the bullshit service interval. Will measure for myself what the dip stick reads at half mark.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
After over 2 years and 44,000km of dip stick checking I feel slight relief. All previous tests were all ok, nothing wrong or I should do the full 5'000km to test. Did the full 5,000 on old worn out oil (within Holden service spec of course). Included a short trip, Sydney to Forster return. 1 tank to make sure to burn some oil. Returned it with dip stick just touching oil. Few hundred km more and would have no reading. The dealer now states it uses more oil than it should and will put the claim in. Said to have used
1.4 ltr in just under 5,000km. Can now start using decent oil and half the bullshit service interval. Will measure for myself what the dip stick reads at half mark.

So are you getting a new engine?
Or did you get the engine re calibration thing and all good?
I am almost at 3000ks and dip stick level is just above the half way mark, so almost a litre of oil gone, lol....
I wonder what service manager will say now eh??? do the maths it is burning more than Holdens acceptable 2 - 2.5 litres per 10000ks

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
No nothing has been done yet. I am just so glad they agree it is using too much oil and have logged a claim or what ever they do as I have less than 1 year warranty left. I would think they will do the upgrade thing at the service coming up. Mine dropped near low mark before 1st and 2nd service and they said it is all ok. Mine was using about the same as yours. Mine runs with coolant temp on 93 norm, often 96. Watched it on a hot day going down to Sydney, it shot up over 100 then fan came on and brought it back quick. Do they all run this hot or do some run at normal temps like 85 or so. Let us know how much oil they say it used when about half mark on stick.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
No nothing has been done yet. I am just so glad they agree it is using too much oil and have logged a claim or what ever they do as I have less than 1 year warranty left. I would think they will do the upgrade thing at the service coming up. Mine dropped near low mark before 1st and 2nd service and they said it is all ok. Mine was using about the same as yours. Mine runs with coolant temp on 93 norm, often 96. Watched it on a hot day going down to Sydney, it shot up over 100 then fan came on and brought it back quick. Do they all run this hot or do some run at normal temps like 85 or so. Let us know how much oil they say it used when about half mark on stick.

Nah, they run hot, thats why they are so tough on the oil, thats why I only use full synth oil, I know its getting used, but it handles higher temps. 5W/30 Castrol EDGE
Also from my observations, when the oil level on dipstick is at the half way line, it is 1 litre to bring it to top of Full hash area, so I would assume that at bottom of ADD hash area, that is the 2 litre mark.
I will be going in next week to get them to take the measurement of oil consumption after 3000ks, I reckon it will be 1 litre as I am just above the half way line on dipstick
I believe Holdens acceptable oil usage figure is 2.5 litres per 10000ks

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Post up what they say and results. I requested the results in writing in case they are telling me it is using less than it is. Have all their itemised receipts and logged all dip stick readings and actions from new as it 1st went to bit above low before 1st service at 15,000km. I freaked as I knew nothing about the major common faults. Are you supplying the dealer with the oil and is it dextron or whatever approved. I have kept it all to the book so it will be easy for the lawer if it turns to ****.
Nah, they run hot, thats why they are so tough on the oil, thats why I only use full synth oil, I know its getting used, but it handles higher temps. 5W/30 Castrol EDGE
Also from my observations, when the oil level on dipstick is at the half way line, it is 1 litre to bring it to top of Full hash area, so I would assume that at bottom of ADD hash area, that is the 2 litre mark.
I will be going in next week to get them to take the measurement of oil consumption after 3000ks, I reckon it will be 1 litre as I am just above the half way line on dipstick
I believe Holdens acceptable oil usage figure is 2.5 litres per 10000ks

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Post up what they say and results. I requested the results in writing in case they are telling me it is using less than it is. Have all their itemised receipts and logged all dip stick readings and actions from new as it 1st went to bit above low before 1st service at 15,000km. I freaked as I knew nothing about the major common faults. Are you supplying the dealer with the oil and is it dextron or whatever approved. I have kept it all to the book so it will be easy for the lawer if it turns to ****.

Hey. What i did i booked in to have a chat with the service manager, I kept my cool and basically asked for their help. The car is under warranty, there should be no problem, Holden have approved a lot of engine replacements. But what i did first is I called the Holden cust support line, explained my issues, they called the dealership I bought the car from, then all I had to do was call him and book in to speak first and formed an action plan. I am about to click over 3000ks and I am at the half way mark on the dipstick. which as i have said previous, is 1 litre of oil. Yeah I supply the oil for them, I buy 10 litres Castrol Edge 5W/30 when it is half price at repco or supercheap, and give them 7litres, I get charged for oil filter and sump plug and washer, but they also did not charge me labour to change the oil, cause of the oil issues I am having, sort of a good will thing