Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom building a Tray for my VZ 1Tonner

Krusteye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ 1Tonner Cab Chasis
Looking for any shared experience or tips from those who know better, as I am about to embark on the challenging process of building a Custom Tray for a VZ 1Tonner I have just purchased. Have seem lots of pictures on some done before me and have a good idea of what I want, but want to be clear on any things to be cautious of or tips that will help.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
What are your abilities ?
What materials are you intending to use ?
What are you going to use the tray for ? Looks or transport of goods ?

If the vehicle already has a tray, take pics of how and where it is attached, and the way it is constructed.

Krusteye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ 1Tonner Cab Chasis
Hi thanks for replying, I Plano. Using steel to fab the tray and want to profile it to suit the Cab lines. It will be for looks primarily, but am planning on it being hydraulically supported and tilt able with a timber floor. My Son in Law is a good welder and will be on the stick. Currently has a top notch all ally tray with sideboards.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi thanks for replying, I Plano. Using steel to fab the tray and want to profile it to suit the Cab lines. It will be for looks primarily, but am planning on it being hydraulically supported and tilt able with a timber floor. My Son in Law is a good welder and will be on the stick. Currently has a top notch all ally tray with sideboards.

First thing then is the hydraulic set up and hinges for the rear, then make the base frame and get all that set in place.
You may be able to source these items from a Coach and Body Supplies.
Once it is working and you are happy with that, then remove the frame, set it on some sturdy stool etc and go to work making the rest to your design.
Make sure you disconnect the battery before welding.
Assuming you are going to polish the timber floor, you won't want to use it as a workhorse as the floor won't last long looking good.
Also using steel and timber as well as hydraulics, you will be adding weight, so the carrying capacity will be compromised.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I found this a few months ago. A 3 part build on a Crewman, which shares a similar architecture.