Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom Cold Air Intake

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
You won't get massive performance from just a cai, and a lot of people don't think it's worth the extra effort of making one up when you can buy a proven design for $50.
If I was bored enough one weekend I'd probably make one up going down to the bumper somewhere, but the difference between the 2 designs probably wouldnt be noticable unless you went straight from one to the other

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
are doing on the vr at the moment is we got one of those 60 dollar jobs of ebay which sits above the radiator and into the factory air box.
then we are cutting up the top section to the box and fiber glassing a bit extra on and installing a pod filter into the box.
And then cutting a hole into the bottom of the bottom box section and through the gaurd and running some alluminium flex pipe down into the front passenger side vent on the front bar with some mesh on either end to stop anything getting to far up to the filter.
that should do for a descent cold air feed to the box and the extra stuff we do to the top lid should shield any heat from around the bay.
shouldnt cost any more than 150 bucks or so for the cold air intake kit from ebay, some alloy flex pipe some mesh and some fibreglass packs from bunnings a pod filter from autobarn a slab and a saturday in the garage with your mates.

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
yea that sounds nice

i think my brother bought a pod filter that he never used so i might do the same as you

how do u connect the alluminium flex pipe to the airbox though?

helrzr925

Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed vr wagon 3.8L
150 bucks or so for the cold air intake kit from ebay, some alloy flex pipe some mesh and some fibreglass packs from bunnings a pod filter from autobarn a slab and a saturday in the garage with your mates.QUOTE]

sounds like an awesome plan you have there :thumbsup:

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
Are you sure you are allowed to cut up the engine bay?
You will be putting a hole in a panel that may oneday save your life.
Nice idea though but sure i would want it.
May make it hard to get a roadworthy down the track to.

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
Yes it will work make sure there aint to many sharp bends

I cut a hole through the bottem of the box after removing washer bottle then ran some pipe down to the left hand side little hole I cut it out so Its close to the size of the pipe its works a treat (this is the dodgy way I DO NOT recomend this as im a dodgy bloke lol)

hope this helps

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
yea that sounds nice

i think my brother bought a pod filter that he never used so i might do the same as you

how do u connect the alluminium flex pipe to the airbox though?

cut a neat hole in both the bottom of the air box and your chasiss with a hole saw, what i do is roughly mark out where i want it to be making sure everything is clear underneath, mark it on the box and unbolt the box and use a 90mm hole saw and cut the hole out in the box.
then fit the box back up and mark out where the hole is, then take it out and attack the chassis with the hole saw, the more accurate you are with marking everything out the neater it will all look in the end.
once the hole is cut bolt the box back in and jack the car up so you can get underneath nice and easy, run the flex pipe wher you want it to go and stick it through the 90mm hole you just cut and then put a few slits in it and bend the ends down.
You can then either glue those tabs down or fibreglass over them what ever you like really.
same with the other end onto your bumber vent just ebnd it to the shape and glue or glass it over.

Ill take lots of pics and do a bit of a right up when i get around to doing the ute.

150 bucks or so for the cold air intake kit from ebay, some alloy flex pipe some mesh and some fibreglass packs from bunnings a pod filter from autobarn a slab and a saturday in the garage with your mates.QUOTE]

sounds like an awesome plan you have there :thumbsup:

helrzr925

Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed vr wagon 3.8L
QUOTE]

an air box can save your life?

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Nice idea though but sure i would want it.
May make it hard to get a roadworthy down the track to.

Yeah if you had to have a full pit job on your car they would tell you to patch up the hole but most people wont see it, and if you ever got dicked you could always just stick another stock air box back on that doesnt have the hole cut out of the bottom and no one would be the wiser.
as for saving your life, you can go right into that but fact is no one here is going to know the structural integrity of the front left panel around the wheel arch.
There are alot of turbo cars which have holes there from factory to run cooler piping so to be honest i dont think its going to do much at all.

Put i will put a do at your own risk on this i guess.

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
QUOTE]

an air box can save your life?

no his saying the 90mm hole you cut out of the front guard may make that piece crumple in a different way it was designed which may kill you if you hit a pole at point b at 116.46km/hr on a damp road with 76.5% tread on front tyres with 1/4 inch inner scrub on the left and 3/8 inner scrub on the right side with a damaged lower bush on sway bar link with steering a 80% lock with a mild westerly brease up your back side with shopping in the boot, your work boots in the back seat and your maccas breaky on the front seat.
but if you got just a bacon and egg mc muffin instead of a delux breaky roll then it wouldnt mater as you will be hitting point b at a slightly less momentim than before.

in other words it will do **** all on an off chance.