Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

custom plenum?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i just found a site with a custom plenum that bolts onto the VL. the thing is that it bolts onto the head and doesn't use the vl runners. would this be better or worse?

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
what about all the cooling hoses, and junk likew that, aac valve. where would that go?

can you show a picture or website

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
looks pretty good but where does the vacuume come from to power the break booster, auto trans shifts, vacuum switches?? other than that i cant see a problem with it, and all those could be added in usind a drill, thread tappers and some experience and knowlege

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
They are more designed for highly modified turbo motors and you will not see much gain or any on an NA plus you would have the hassle of moving the battery to somewhere else. plus working out all the hoses that run in and out of the intake (water is piped through the plenum too). I've looked into it and its a big headache to say the least. But on a highly modified motor would be worth the effort plus they look great. The stock plenum goes well until you start really leaning on the motor and asking for 300+rwkw. Its up to you but there are costs and epa to worry about.

If you have to, go for it LOL

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I have a custom plenum on mine, I purchased a thinner battery so didnt need to relocate it.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
oh well i might as well stick with the normal plenum. i only want about 240rwkw with the turbo.

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
240rwk isnt childs play either and a standand plenem will let u down in the power department......the engine will only go as hard as it can breath :)

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i think i'll stay with standard for now but upgrade the plenum later. its not an essential item to get the motor built and in the car. i'm curious as to where rb26dett got his from, how much and how hard to install?

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I bought It from a guy on Calais Turbo who makes them. His username is JD Custom.

They sell for about $700 but they come unpolished, cost me about $100 to get it polished.

I didnt install it myself, I got it installed when my maniifold was being made. But from what he told me he just needed to tap a few holes and it was pretty straight forward.