Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

custom sub install

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by taylormade93, Apr 14, 2012.

1. taylormade93

taylormade93 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV WAGON Series 2
    Hi Guys,
    This is what boot boot install currently looks like:
    http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums...aylormade93/?action=view&current=IMG_0111.jpg

But i want it to look something like this:
    http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums...aylormade93/?action=view&current=100_0350.jpg

Is anyone able to send me a "how to" guide for doing this or linking me to where one is? i searched but couldnt find anything. Will it be as simple as getting the plywood cutting holes for th subs then angle the subs with wood underneath them, or will they need to come out of their boxes?
    Just want the false wall not the amp mounted on the side, thinking of mounting it to the back of the seats?
    Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Killr6

Killr6 tutut

Members Ride:
    BA XR6T
    hey mate that's my old commodore looks good yeah...was a bit of surprise to see it there.

i had a friend build the whole boot install for me.

but it wasn't as simple as just cutting wood and making holes, we used MDF wood, not plywood. we made templates from cardboard, before we cut any wood at all so we knew what fit where.

but since you only really want the back wall part, which was the most easiest part of the install it should not be to hard if you have the right tools and knowledge on this sort of stuff.

the subs are made into a custom box we built, so if you want to go with this install you will need to take them out of there boxes.

something like this but just the parts where the subs are?

[​IMG]

3. taylormade93

taylormade93 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV WAGON Series 2
    Hey man, yeah pinched the pic from your rides thread haha
    Damn that sounds a bit complicated for me, might just leave it as is. Just thought if it was easy id give it ago!
    Cheers Man

4. SE85VT

SE85VT LOVE MY VT LOVE AUSTRALIA

Members Ride:
    1998 V6 VT BERLINA
    i built this for mine wasnt to hard took about 2 weeks but just got mdf and carboard boxes from work to make templates then built wall and side faces then later built boxes around them i have an lpg tank behind the wall thats why i put the subs on the sides the third sub will soon be sunk down into the spare tyre well with perspex over the top so i have atleast some boot space.

Attached Files:

5. Killr6

Killr6 tutut

Members Ride:
    BA XR6T
    whats the bars over the subs for?

6. billythakid

billythakid New Member

Members Ride:
    vx II Executive
    stops anything in the boot smashing through the speaker cone , similar to the grill on any speaker

7. SE85VT

SE85VT LOVE MY VT LOVE AUSTRALIA

Members Ride:
    1998 V6 VT BERLINA
    and i had another better looking grill on there to find a day later that it had broken and was jammed between itsself and my sub really should stop gunning it around corners lol

8. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
    urs could b done quite simple and easy if u dont wanna take up 2 much boot space. heres mine

[​IMG]

as u can see really theres not alot of curvature work required and if u only have the 1 amp from wat i can see u should have planty of room 2 put 1 in the middle of the 2 subs?

9. taylormade93

taylormade93 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV WAGON Series 2
    That looks sweet mate, how'd ya do it?
    Yeah only have the one amp!
    Cheers

10. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
    pretty much centred the sub box and screwed a block of timber on either side of the sub box 4 the false walls 2 screw 2 which follows the same angle on the sub boxes face, then got some 3mm mdf i had laying around (cardboard would b cheaper if u have 2 go buy it) and pretty much measured from the box 2 the wheel well humps and just did some rough sketches, trial and error cut and fit with the jigsaw until it fit the shape of the boot. made some cut outs 4 the gas struts on the false walls and thats pretty much it. As bu can see its really only the drivers side that needs the most work, the passenger doesnt need much shaping. mine was a nice snug fit so nothing moves either way which is good.

i also hinged the floor so it could lift up infront of the set up 4 the spare tyre 2 come out 2. this is the 2nd time its been recovers tho since i upgraded my system so the old covering i had on had 2 come off which was just ur coloured hood lining stuff but now its got high grade pool table cloth only coz i had mountains of the stuff at my old work :) haha

would have done more but i use the boot 2 much so needed the most space i could get and yeah this seemed simple and effective.

Edit: 4got 2 mention i only used 9mm MDF board 4 the amps 2 mount 2 as thats all that was needed, used the 3mm board after gettin the shaping right and then just transfered the cut out onto the 9mm board.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  11. Sizzle87

Sizzle87 ARGH!

Members Ride:
    VT Calais SC II
    Get mdf, ply will fray a lot more easier with the vibrations from the sub. When you're making your box, just before you put it together for keeps, give the inside and the outside a coat of primer, to prevent the mdf from fraying. Then assemble.

Used to do a bit of work with ply and mdf, and had a few customers who had their whole business making said custom sub boxes. That's what they suggested.

Then again, it's entirely up to you. Might be worth a think about though, you want to it last a few years yeah?

12. taylormade93

taylormade93 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV WAGON Series 2
    Yeah looks the goods wrx884, will actually look into doing that sometime in the near future!
    Sizzle87: yeah wants it to last a few good years, so will do it in mdf instead. Cheers!

13. Lazza78

Lazza78 Banned

Members Ride:
    VT HBD LS1, VL calais project
    there really isnt a "how to guide" coz everyones idea on an install is different.... with mine i spent around 30hrs building it.... if u wanna see pics from start to finish have a look at the thread on my vt...

i personally would get ideas and mix them up so its your design, not a copy of someone elses setup...

im keen to see what u come up with mate when its done :)

Larry

14. taylormade93

taylormade93 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV WAGON Series 2
    Dude, your install is nuts! How much did it set you back?
    Cheers

15. SWA90N!!

SWA90N!! New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT equipe wagon
    hey mate, do something different, better off going all out otherwise your gunna think its **** after a while, should replace those subs and get something better, i went allout on my wagon and did something heaps different check it out.. do a few drawings then get wood and make it man.. IMG_20120126_121600.jpg IMG_20120123_181721.jpg IMG_20120124_195723.jpg IMG_20120123_181712.jpg IMG_20120207_164314.jpg

16. taylormade93

taylormade93 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV WAGON Series 2
    Yeah that looks pretty sweet man, not looking at replacing the subs though them puppies go hard!
    Cheers

17. Lazza78

Lazza78 Banned

Members Ride:
    VT HBD LS1, VL calais project
    hey mate, i think the costs for the mdf sheet, carpet and glue n screws was around the $250 mark... it was 3 years ago i did it tho.... took ages to do but worth it in the end

18. taylormade93

taylormade93 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV WAGON Series 2
    Yeah, I'm liking the look of yours! Definatley going to copy the hatch you made to access the spare tyre, love it!

19. SWA90N!!

SWA90N!! New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT equipe wagon
    no worries mate keen to see what you come up with should be awesome :)