Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom swap 3.8L V6 Cranks won't start

OstracizedElite

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jeep CJ-5 Buick 3800 engine
G'day, first post. Got a Jeep CJ-5 with a backyard job Buick 3800 swapped in it. From a VN with auto box.

I tried driving through my dam and got bogged. After recovering it from the dam, letting it dry out, I changed all the oils and fuel, filters and so on. Now it doesn't start. Most of the time.
Will sometimes start after having the battery unplugged for a while and then putting the battery back on.
But turn it off and try again and it doesn't start.
Starter cranks
Fuel pump doesn't prime most of the time
Injectors don't pulse

So obviously all systems work at least a little because it starts sometimes. I can't find any OBD plug and there may not be one from the engine swap into this Jeep.

Something to do with the immobiliser?
Or are there any sensors that can give the ECU a fault that prevents next start up?
Most of the engine was underwater at one stage. No water entered the combustion chambers though.

Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Wheres the ecu and did it get wet? Could also be bad earth somewhere. Check all fuses and relays?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Flooded CAS or DFI fault if you are getting no injector pulse.
You should have a custom memcal with security already removed.
Might have to chase some wires to get ecu into diagnostic and count flashes of the check engine light for more fault code info.