Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom v6 manifold

cabcoupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
48 Vauxhall rod
Hope somebody here can help with this unusual question. Some might think it a bit odd and I'm not sure if it can be done. I am in the process of building a hotrod and trying to keep it to a nostalgic look but using commodore running gear. What I'm trying to acheive is dual carbs on a high rise manifold and on a budget something like this.
ratrod1i.jpg

1. I have been playing around with a v6 manifold and this is where I'm at with dual carbs after cutting the top off the manifold.

Picture035.jpg

2. Or this using dual throttle bodies with the original injectors. There is room on top for a second body.

Picture036.jpg

A couple of questions.
1. Will the first option work with dual carbs. If so what size carbs will I need. I still need to plate the rear entry and fill injector holes if I run with this.
2. If I run with the original injectors can I fit 2 standard throttle bodies with pod filters without using the afm's.
I'm not after performance but the look and hopefully a reasonable fuel consumption. Anyone that konws of someone that has done either of these configurations before please speek up.
This is what I'm starting with a 48 Vauxhall

Vauxhall011.jpg

This is what I am hoping to acheive something like this.

Vauxhall014.jpg

Btw I know this is not a hotrod forum but the car will be half Commodore and thought this the best place to seek this kind of info

Cheers Mick.

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Hi Mick,
we use this on a series one motor , it's for largely WOT work, but it went pretty well across the range when it was on a stocker.

P9160260.jpg

The series1 manifold is a little easier to deal with , but it's no biggy either way.I cut the by-pass off the second TB, they open simultaeneously..... the AFM went missing somewhere on ours LOL.

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah factory twins on top works
IMGP4156.jpg

cabcoupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
48 Vauxhall rod
Dr Goggles excuse my ignorance but WOT? What series is the manifold I'm using and why is the series 1 easier to deal with. This one looks like it will work well with the water inlet positioning. Are the throttle bodies Commodore and did it run without the afm if so what was the consumption like. I was thinking of using trumpets or the like on top if I dont need the afm. Be interesting to see some more pics from different angles.

delco wizzid what mods did you have to do to get the motor to run with that setup and what series motor are you running? That set up is close to what I'm striving for either with the carbs or throttle body idea. Also be interesting to see some more pics from different angles.

More pics with any other suggestions guys would be interesting to see.

Cheers Mick.

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you have a vp or vr inlet manifold thats why the water pipe is at the front vn is at the rear.they dont run a MAF sensor so no need to run any intake pipes with a maf in them

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Dr Goggles excuse my ignorance but WOT? What series is the manifold I'm using and why is the series 1 easier to deal with.Cheers Mick.

WOT= Wide Open Throttle.The ser1/ser2 issue is that the PCV and thermostat situation is different, the series one fuel rail looks a bit more Ol' Skool which would suit your purposes better.

As for economy I think ours goes about 18km's on 10litres ,I dunno I haven't kept the log-book up to date................ just joking Mick, it's a landspeed car and it just gets it's neck wrung from whoa to go.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v6-development-modification/138052-i-wanna-de-stroke-3-8-a.html

cabcoupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
48 Vauxhall rod
Ah very interesting i think I need to have a good look at both models and do some comparisons. As I said the water inlet suits where I need to run hoses but thats not a prob if I need to go vn. Just a thought would I still get the same result using what i've got or will I need vn t/b's.

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Just a thought would I still get the same result using what i've got or will I need vn t/b's.

They're all the same.......had you considered just gutting some carbies ?...that way you could gang up 3 Strombergs or some such and then hide the injectors under some sort of cover........

From where I sit you'd be insane to remove the injection but other than that you just need butterflies and you're off.... these motors are about as complicated as a hammer......

having said that a good mate said "what the f$&% are you doing" last week as I tried to punch out a piece of metal we'd plasma cut with the handle of a ball-pein........

Anyway, you could also try a series of bike throttle bodies...........six little ones always looks pretty mad, and they sound great.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
on a side note thats roof needs about a 5 inch chop

cabcoupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
48 Vauxhall rod
Damn it! I was at a swap meet on the weekend and saw a bike inlet. I wasnt sure if they would work and yeah they did look good too.