Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom v6 manifold

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by cabcoupe, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Hope somebody here can help with this unusual question. Some might think it a bit odd and I'm not sure if it can be done. I am in the process of building a hotrod and trying to keep it to a nostalgic look but using commodore running gear. What I'm trying to acheive is dual carbs on a high rise manifold and on a budget something like this.[​IMG]

1. I have been playing around with a v6 manifold and this is where I'm at with dual carbs after cutting the top off the manifold.

[​IMG]

2. Or this using dual throttle bodies with the original injectors. There is room on top for a second body.

[​IMG]

A couple of questions.
    1. Will the first option work with dual carbs. If so what size carbs will I need. I still need to plate the rear entry and fill injector holes if I run with this.
    2. If I run with the original injectors can I fit 2 standard throttle bodies with pod filters without using the afm's.
    I'm not after performance but the look and hopefully a reasonable fuel consumption. Anyone that konws of someone that has done either of these configurations before please speek up.
    This is what I'm starting with a 48 Vauxhall

[​IMG]

This is what I am hoping to acheive something like this.

[​IMG]

Btw I know this is not a hotrod forum but the car will be half Commodore and thought this the best place to seek this kind of info

Cheers Mick.

2. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles New Member

Members Ride:
    V6 Salt lakester
    Hi Mick,
    we use this on a series one motor , it's for largely WOT work, but it went pretty well across the range when it was on a stocker.

[​IMG]

The series1 manifold is a little easier to deal with , but it's no biggy either way.I cut the by-pass off the second TB, they open simultaeneously..... the AFM went missing somewhere on ours LOL.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  3. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    yeah factory twins on top works [​IMG]

4. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Dr Goggles excuse my ignorance but WOT? What series is the manifold I'm using and why is the series 1 easier to deal with. This one looks like it will work well with the water inlet positioning. Are the throttle bodies Commodore and did it run without the afm if so what was the consumption like. I was thinking of using trumpets or the like on top if I dont need the afm. Be interesting to see some more pics from different angles.

delco wizzid what mods did you have to do to get the motor to run with that setup and what series motor are you running? That set up is close to what I'm striving for either with the carbs or throttle body idea. Also be interesting to see some more pics from different angles.

More pics with any other suggestions guys would be interesting to see.

Cheers Mick.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  5. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    you have a vp or vr inlet manifold thats why the water pipe is at the front vn is at the rear.they dont run a MAF sensor so no need to run any intake pipes with a maf in them

6. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles New Member

Members Ride:
    V6 Salt lakester
    WOT= Wide Open Throttle.The ser1/ser2 issue is that the PCV and thermostat situation is different, the series one fuel rail looks a bit more Ol' Skool which would suit your purposes better.

As for economy I think ours goes about 18km's on 10litres ,I dunno I haven't kept the log-book up to date................ just joking Mick, it's a landspeed car and it just gets it's neck wrung from whoa to go.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v6-development-modification/138052-i-wanna-de-stroke-3-8-a.html

7. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Ah very interesting i think I need to have a good look at both models and do some comparisons. As I said the water inlet suits where I need to run hoses but thats not a prob if I need to go vn. Just a thought would I still get the same result using what i've got or will I need vn t/b's.

8. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles New Member

Members Ride:
    V6 Salt lakester
    They're all the same.......had you considered just gutting some carbies ?...that way you could gang up 3 Strombergs or some such and then hide the injectors under some sort of cover........

From where I sit you'd be insane to remove the injection but other than that you just need butterflies and you're off.... these motors are about as complicated as a hammer......

having said that a good mate said "what the f$&% are you doing" last week as I tried to punch out a piece of metal we'd plasma cut with the handle of a ball-pein........

Anyway, you could also try a series of bike throttle bodies...........six little ones always looks pretty mad, and they sound great.

9. Pub247

Pub247 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Ford Fairmont
    on a side note thats roof needs about a 5 inch chop

10. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Damn it! I was at a swap meet on the weekend and saw a bike inlet. I wasnt sure if they would work and yeah they did look good too.

11. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Pub247 I looked at that already a lot of work involved but yes it would look a lot tougher. The red car is all stock just lowered and rear guards widened about 4" and that looks ok. He's running a m90 on a wild 202. I like an engine that fills the engine bay. I'm running a 350 sbc in my lx hatch need a shoe horn to get it in.
    I'm liking the info and pics so far guys keep them coming.

Cheers.

12. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Will the manifold I've cut down fit straight onto an ecotec motor

13. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    nope totally different port spacing and 1 inch lower deck height makes it a skinnier engine between the heads

14. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Sorry wizzid for my ignorance I've only just started with the research on these motors so please be patient with my stupid questions. Which is narrower and with it being narrower does that meen the overall dimension is too. I've got a complete vs lined up for $300 with 130k on the clock seems to run pretty sweet. I still want that dual t/b look can I do a complete swap of heads and manifold. Seems like a stupid question to go backwards with technology but that the look I'm trying yo get on a budget build

15. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    ecotec motors run a maf sensor, and you cant swap to pre ecotec heads/manifold without full custom manifold and complete custom camshaft(not jsut custom grind, but different lobe positions and such, headache material)

stick with a pre ecotec block for what you want.

16. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Seem to be a lot of changes from year to year does that also mean the vs trani wont go onto a vn block.
    The vn I was looking at had 250k on the clock and the trani was making a whirring noise what would that be and would there still be plenty of life in the motor

17. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    trans will bolt up, but if auto, wont work without vs ecu

18. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Another thing I forgot and would probably be the same is the sump. For mock up in the rod i could use the ecotec and later on build a pre ecotec down the track some time. Just the vs seems too good to pass up. can use the central locking, power windows. air con. Will save me a fair bit of on all the mod cons.

19. cabcoupe

cabcoupe New Member

Members Ride:
    48 Vauxhall rod
    Still looking for more details on ttb's. What sort of mods needing to be done to the motor cam and things or just left stock.

Cheers Mick.

20. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    you can use a VN ECU and loom to run a ecotec so there would be no need for the flow meter, that way you could run some sort of multiple butterfly arrangement on top. just need to get Delcowizzid to make a tune to suit :D

both the VN/VP/VR buick engines and VS ecotec share the same basic block architecture except the difference in deck height. so they bolt up to the same engine mounts, use the same pattern bell-housings etc