Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
I got sick of looking at my standard engine cover on the old Ecotec, so I decided to Modify it.
Anyone can do this, all you need to do is work out which sections you want to keep and use an angle grinder with cutting disc to slice away the parts you don't want there any longer.

I decided to keep the alternator and throttle body covered, but let the top of the plenum breath so it would stay cooler (That's the theory anyway lol)

Tools Required:

1x Angle grinder with cutting disc
1x pair of safety glasses
1x 120 and 1x 220 sandpaper to feather out the edges once youve done your cuts, before priming and painting.

Some primer and paint. (Mine is white, as my car is white)

Make sure you have the cover secure when making the cuts (I did mine on the lawn holding with one hand, cutting with the other) And watch out for the melting plastic****

Still deciding on whether to give it a marble effect paint job, add some nice chrome Holden or HSV logos, or go to the shop and get some mean looking skull vinyl stickers..

The placebo effect is amazing, adds at least 30HP, lmao..Something different anyway guys,,,

If anyone else gets bored and decides to have a go at this, upload some pics here and share the finished product..

Attachments

• en1.jpg
    en1.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 961
  • en2.jpg
    en2.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 913
  • en3.jpg
    en3.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 1,348
  • en4.jpg
    en4.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 1,313
  • en5.jpg
    en5.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 2,744
  • en6.jpg
    en6.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 1,206

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Sorry but no. Much prefer the original cover with good paintwork.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
x3

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Would look better with no covers at all Then you can see all
the engine parts. Lose the two white bits.:)

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
It looks like you did a good job. But I'd be thinking the covers now vibrate and flap about and might crack the plastic or even break off as there's no other support for them as on a full cover.

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
They sit pretty good.

Think ill just stick with the alternator covered, for when I wash the engine bay lol

Maybe aluminium colour would make them blend with the rest of the engine better..

rcsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
They sit pretty good.

Think ill just stick with the alternator covered, for when I wash the engine bay lol

Maybe aluminium colour would make them blend with the rest of the engine better..

Don't change because of what anyone on here says, if you like it keep it, it's your car not ours