Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cut spark instead of fuel at rev limiter?

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L - 12.6@108 stock bottom end & comp
I have a crane hi-6 in my statesman. Its a great ignition limiter as it is smooth and it doesn't feel like much power is lost. Sounds a lot different to a regular limiter. Does its job and is adjustable on the fly :)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
wouldn't you end up with some serious fuel wash issues if the fuel wasn't cut ?
I think the harshness of the limiter also has a lot to do with the difference between the cut out rpm and cut in rpm. The bigger the gap, the harsher the cutout.
Also I believe sequential injection has a softer cut too, as it cuts individual cylinders at a time rather than shutting them all down at once

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The cut gets a little softer when you run less gap between off and on it's still pretty harsh

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
not too bad when you run at 30-50 rpm between cut points LOL cant do that with a stock bin though

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah you can! the limit is 30 between them on the VN/P base and you can do 1 rpm on the VR up

wild13bt

Reaction score
Members Ride
s4 rx7
the engine won't run lean by cutting fuel on the limiter. No fuel, no ignition, no heat??? Cutting spark will probably just melt your cats with raw fuel depending on how serious your setup is. And most motors are basically ran in from new, they get water leak tested at the factory before they are fitted to the vehicle which involves them being ran under load at a moderate rpm for x amount of time. And if that doesn't run them in the pre delivery guy a the dealership certainly will!