Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cuts out mid drive!!

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
Oh ok couldnt find what it was in the book thanks umm as you see its all cracked should i just electric tape them until i find a better solution? The poor VR got hammered yesty with hail abit of dammage
You could just unplug it, fit heat-shrink tubes on, re-plug it and shrink them over the top, couple of layers. However seeing the condition of the plugs, they may just disintegrate completely as soon as you try to unplug it.. but as they say, if it's not broken don't fix it.. or it'll end up like your fuse did :)

Saying that, it they were in that condition on my car, i'd cut the plugs away completely, sorder the wires together and heat-shrink them individually (like on this pic) as well as then put bit of silicone on them and a couple of layers of heat-shrink on top of them. This way ensuring they'll never ever become loose and no water getting in. I dunno what your soldering skills are like, but you really need to know how to solder wires in-line properly, especially when it comes to ABS. You could just leave as is, clean with mineral turps and small paint brush, let it dry, tape it up with insulation tape, and put 1 or 2 small cable ties on each end on the tape (to stop it unwrapping over time).. I'd never use crimping type wire joiners or plugs on things like this as they often become loose. In fact i'd never use them on anything, not even speaker wires LOL

Attachments

• SLD102.jpg
    SLD102.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman sII 5ltr 1995 & VE SS V8 Commodore
PDR (Paintless Dent Remval) guys can do some magic tricks with those.
I looked them up cheers
Blowing the dizzy won't effect the HES tho as it's sealed. It's basically a magnetically sensitive sensor that switches on every time a magnet swings by it, and because it's operated by magnetic field, there is no physical contact made.

Re grime on battery terminals, are you talking about the greasy stuff? That's usually sprayed on the terminals on purpose to prevent corrosion of the terminals by different types of metals in contact with one another (brass and lead etc) and sometimes acid, so it extends the life of the clamps, and.. corrosion = loose connections. You can clean it all off with mineral terpentine to remove old grease and dust or sand in it before fitting on new battery clamps, but you should re-apply the greasy stuff after, in a nutshell it prevents oxygen getting there.

Sorry to hear about the hail thing :(
With dizzy just wanted to make sure when we cleaned engine bay that no water seaped in but prob still a good idea to replace, i have asked Repco about HES replacement but they can only supply whole dizzy @$280 wow!! The terminals were very thin also which might of intime made weak contact but will get some greasy stuff and reapply.

Attachments

• IMG_5222.JPG
    IMG_5222.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 84

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
You could just unplug it, fit heat-shrink tubes on, re-plug it and shrink them over the top, couple of layers. However seeing the condition of the plugs, they may just disintegrate completely as soon as you try to unplug it.. but as they say, if it's not broken don't fix it.. or it'll end up like your fuse did :)

Saying that, it they were in that condition on my car, i'd cut the plugs away completely, sorder the wires together and heat-shrink them individually (like on this pic) as well as then put bit of silicone on them and a couple of layers of heat-shrink on top of them. This way ensuring they'll never ever become loose and no water getting in. I dunno what your soldering skills are like, but you really need to know how to solder wires in-line properly, especially when it comes to ABS. You could just leave as is, clean with mineral turps and small paint brush, let it dry, tape it up with insulation tape, and put 1 or 2 small cable ties on each end on the tape (to stop it unwrapping over time).. I'd never use crimping type wire joiners or plugs on things like this as they often become loose. In fact i'd never use them on anything, not even speaker wires LOL
Mmmm i recon the heat shrink tubes are handy but not 100% on the solder part so prob just abit of turps tape and secure them

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
Yeah i think i better remove it and geta after market alarm after i get her running properly lol
Yeah just check around steering column, the mess you mentioned you have there.. and look for a non factory box above your pedals somewhere. Pls don't go cutting wires yet LOL.. just take pics maybe.

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
Mmmm i recon the heat shrink tubes are handy but not 100% on the solder part so prob just abit of turps tape and secure them
The turps bit is mainly just so that you can get the tape to stick and make good seal, it won't on oily or dirty stuff..

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok not confident to snip away at wires lol will deff take some pics first amd send them your way

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
The turps bit is mainly just so that you can get the tape to stick and make good seal, it won't on oily or dirty stuff..
Awesome advice wish you lived in my state id pay you to fix these fidilly issuse

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
I looked them up cheers

With dizzy just wanted to make sure when we cleaned engine bay that no water seaped in but prob still a good idea to replace, i have asked Repco about HES replacement but they can only supply whole dizzy @$280 wow!! The terminals were very thin also which might of intime made weak contact but will get some greasy stuff and reapply.
Do you have Veale auto parts where you are? If not then you likely have a similar alternative there, otherwise maybe wreckers, tho most only sell the dizzys together with engines, unless they have a no good engine there that they can take parts of. But don't worry about the HES for now, maybe no need to replace.. we'll burn that bridge when we cross it on a cammel.. lol

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you have Veale auto parts where you are? If not then you likely have a similar alternative there, otherwise maybe wreckers, tho most only sell the dizzys together with engines, unless they have a no good engine there that they can take parts of. But don't worry about the HES for now, maybe no need to replace.. we'll burn that bridge when we cross it on a cammel.. lol
Will google them or see if i can get a second hand one maybe, yeah sounds good for now haha id love to ride a Camel