Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cuts out when fuel is under 1/4 tank

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
Hey i have a 91 vp commodore, whe you give it a bit of aceleration when its under 1/4 tank it cuts out. After it cuts out a few times it doesnt start, then it starts 10 minutes later. Then i fill the tank up and it runs fine, doesnt stall at all untill it goes under 1/4 tank,

What could this be?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
fuel pump not near the bottom of the tank or the swirl pot is damaged , hows your return line ?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
its either a fuel pump or the little 'bucket' area in the fuel tank where the pump sits is leaking.

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
My return line has a slight leak, could that be the problem.. I have bough a new line and clamp but it still has a small leak

RSWNEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5.0 Calais
On the VP there is a return line that runs from the inside of the fuel pump bracket/flange to the swirl pot inside the tank. The fuel pump draws directly from the swirl pot through it's filter. Fuel from the return line fills the swirl pot and ensures there's plenty of fuel available when the tank approaches empty. I'd say your return line has detached from the swirl pot and you can check this by undoing the bolted flange at the front of the tank and pearing inside. They are difficult to reattach if they come off - like mine did.